New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #10501
timcadieux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 26

As much as I tried to, I can't read all 1000+ replies, so I figured I'd ask a few questions here.

Quote:
After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so. Racking to a secondary is not necessary.

Apfelwein really improves with age, so if you can please let it sit in a carboy for up to 3 months before bottling or kegging, then let it sit even longer. Here's what some folks think.
The above states that its not necessary to rack to secondary but it also says that you could leave it up to 3 months before bottling. I've always understood that too many weeks on the yeast cake can be bad...so does this mean I should rack to secondary?

Essentially, this is what I was thinking of doing..i'd pitch a batch in my carboy, then in 4 weeks, I'd rack to secondary, and pitch a second batch immediately on the original yeast cake.

Then both could age in their carboys until both May and June receptively, where I could then bottle and serve in June and July?

Does this sound reasonable...i just don;t want to tie up bottles for 6months if I can avoid it.

Check out my Home Brewing Blog at downstairsbrewer.com and my Travel Discussion Board at chattytourist.com

Fermenting - Raging Red Irish Ale, Honey Orange Hefeweizen, Yooper's Banana Wine

Kegged - Jamil's Stout, All Amarillo Pale Ale

Last edited by timcadieux; 12-17-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Typos

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #10502
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Sound like a fine idea!

Old 12-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #10503
timcadieux
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 26

So there's no issue with aging in the Carboy and repitching onto existing yeast? I understood there were potentially two trains of thought to both possibility?

Check out my Home Brewing Blog at downstairsbrewer.com and my Travel Discussion Board at chattytourist.com

Fermenting - Raging Red Irish Ale, Honey Orange Hefeweizen, Yooper's Banana Wine

Kegged - Jamil's Stout, All Amarillo Pale Ale

Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #10504
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

People in this thread are doing it after longer aging than the month you proposed.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #10505
RLPK
Recipes 

Is there any difference between aging for 6 months in the carboy and bottling after 1 month and aging in bottles for 6 months? This is assuming that the apfelwein is already clear.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #10506
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnieBrew View Post
I understand that time in the bottle is hugely beneficial to cider/apfelwein. I'm just curious if it needs to be kept refrigerated after a few weeks, and then kept for say 6 months or more? Or is it ok to keep it in (glass) bottles in the cupboard for 6 months (at say between 60-80 degrees F)?
I keep mine in cases at 72 while it ages.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #10507
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcadieux
So there's no issue with aging in the Carboy and repitching onto existing yeast? I understood there were potentially two trains of thought to both possibility?
You planning on keeping the 2nd batch on all that yeast for 6+ months? I've definitely had autolysis problems from keeping it on too long, and I know somebody else who has as well.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #10508
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I have kept it in primary for 2 months without any issues, but I'm leary of going past 3 months on the yeast cake.

You can use the same yeast cake, but we are talking <$1.00 for the packet of yeast, splurge a little and buy two packets.

Start two simultaneous batches and bottle at 2 months or do 2 sequential batches and bottle at the 2 month period for each batch. From your sig, it looks like you have number of primary and secondary containers available. If you run out, then it is a perfect excuse to buy more.

Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 12-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #10509
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Ho. Ly. Moses. That stuff is gonna be good!!!

I started my batch on 10/22 and bottled it tonight. Left to my own devices and without referring to the calendar I'd have left it until the end of the week but no need to be picky when the family Christmas is on the horizon. My only glitch was that I had no corn sugar but used table sugar instead and bottled 36 16 oz bottles and two 12 oz beer bottles. And put the rest of it on ice and tasted.

That stuff is gonna be really good once carbonated. It's good now. It's going to be a very merry Christmas for the Pedersens.

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #10510
pood
Recipes 

I ran across this thread when I was looking up Spike Your Juice, I thought that thing was a good deal, but man was I wrong! I'm picking up some better bottles tomorrow and going to try to make 5 gallons this week. This is going to be my first time brewing anything, besides Spike your Juice, if you can even call that brew :X

I think I'd be too impatient to wait 6 month, how dry, or typical ABV would it be at the 4 week mark? I intend to make another 5 gallons or 2 at the 2 week mark.

Quick Reply