Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 03:12 AM   #10471
goodsuds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Is there an ideal temp to try to keep with this recipe/yeast? I followed it exactly except I re-hydrated the yeast. Ambient temp in my basement is 65, but I've got it sitting in a swamp cooler with room temp water just because it's supposed to be really warm this weekend (70's) and I want to avoid temperature spikes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #10472
Wilddanz71
Recipes 

What is the ABV that most of you guys get from this? How low will it ferment to? After 3 weeks mine is at 1.000 it started at 1.065. Is it done? Used a wine yeast

Old 11-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #10473
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilddanz71 View Post
What is the ABV that most of you guys get from this? How low will it ferment to? After 3 weeks mine is at 1.000 it started at 1.065. Is it done? Used a wine yeast
EdWort suggests keeping it in the primary for 3 months if you can, but get it off the yeast after that by racking it to secondary for bulk aging or bottle it. It is supposed to taste much better if you wait that long and let it bottle condition for a least another 3 months.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #10474
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 49

1.000 would taste good, but wine yeast might take it lower. Make sure its warm enough for another week or two. My first batch with a low attenuating beer yeast (windsor) brought it all the way to .990.

My second batch is currently cold crashing in the garage w/ gelatin. This one had 3 cans of frozen concentrate to boost apple flavor and subbed brown sugar for corn sugar. Its been in a carboy for 3 months, can't wait to try it out after 3 months in a bottle.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Old 11-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #10475
AMonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 336 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 15

So last night I just realized I had added 4lbs brown sugar instead of 2lbs. I was wondering why it was taking so long. Checked about a week ago and it was at 1.010. I used montrachet, I am assuming this will be drinkable I will just let it sit longer. But does anyone know how this will turn out? Will the yeast get it down low enough or will it stop high? Montrachet says it has a tolerance to 13% and I don't think it should have gotten that high so I am not too worried. Just wondering if it will taste alright or if I made hooch.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #10476
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Montrachet should have no problem crunching through the extra sugar. It took my rhubarb wine from 1.092 down to 0.988 (14% ABV). My Apfelwein w/ Montrachet was only 1.062 with 1 lb brown sugar and 3 cans of frozen concentrate (No FG yet).

You might need a little extra aging, but maybe not. You will be adding an extra expletive towards Ed the morning after though.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #10477
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blefferd
I just made another batch using Pasture Champaign yeast, not sure how it will turn out! It's bubbling away though.
Yup my first batch thats what yeast I used. Second batch I got the monchart or whatever its called.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #10478
freemanmh
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a batch that hit 4 months in the fermenter the other day - it's looking very clear. I rushed my first batch, and it turned out good enough that I have another batch that's at about 3 months as well. I used Montrachet for batch #1, and EC1118 for the two that are fermenting now. I'm thinking that one is getting bottled either this weekend or next weekend.

I may try to throw a Skeeter Pee on the yeast after I bottle, just to give that a try.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #10479
goodsuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I walked down in my basement this morning and thought I was smelling sewer water or a gas leak. Turns out it was the smell coming out of the airlock on the batch I made Thursday night. I heard others mention that this puts off some funk for a while, but man. Smells like rotten eggs and apples.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #10480
Smithman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Do you have to degas this stuff like wine to put it up in in wine bottles?

Quick Reply