Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #10221
Justintoxicated
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew71 View Post
It has been five months since I started a batch. Followed the original recipe. Finally opened a bottle today. It is fantastic!

Starting another batch tomorrow. On that note ... has anybody here tried Côte des Blancs yeast? How did it come out?
My friend did this and it came out great... Much better than the Montrachet that I'm using and he used in his first batch. I will be doing that for my next batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #10222
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew71
It has been five months since I started a batch. Followed the original recipe. Finally opened a bottle today. It is fantastic!

Starting another batch tomorrow. On that note ... has anybody here tried Côte des Blancs yeast? How did it come out?
Is it still super white wine like or did it mellow? If so, how long did you have it in the primary?

Old 09-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #10223
HBrew71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
My friend did this and it came out great... Much better than the Montrachet that I'm using and he used in his first batch. I will be doing that for my next batch.
Great! I was hoping that that would be the case. Thank You!

Old 09-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #10224
HBrew71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
Is it still super white wine like or did it mellow? If so, how long did you have it in the primary?
It is not super white wine like. At around 3 months, when I bottled it, it was very wine like. after 2 months in the bottle the apple flavor has come through quite a bit. Really good now.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:39 AM   #10225
HBrew71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
Forgot to mention ....

It was in a Better Bottle carboy a month. Then I racked it to a glass carboy where it aged two months. It was probably not necessary to move it to secondary. Next time I will start and keep in a glass carboy for 3+ months.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #10226
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew71

Forgot to mention ....

It was in a Better Bottle carboy a month. Then I racked it to a glass carboy where it aged two months. It was probably not necessary to move it to secondary. Next time I will start and keep in a glass carboy for 3+ months.
I'll have to make another batch. I only had mine in the carboy for six weeks before I bottled several weeks ago.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #10227
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps10 View Post
Interested to see if this works. Personally I think I would have used brown sugar for more of a caramel flavor, maybe even gone a little nuts and popped in a little bit of hersheys bar, but I'm crazy like that. Anxiously awaiting your results. I think a caramel apfelwein flavor would be killer in the fall.
This is on my agenda to mix up. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/caramel-apple-hard-cider-292770/

Old 09-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #10228
Dkshep
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsmcghee
About a week ago I made some Apfelwein with 4lbs of sugar instead of two. It was an accident. I am using EC1118 yeast. Can anyone tell me if the EC1118 can power through 4lbs of sugar in a 5 gallon carboy before reaching its alcohol tolerance or will I end up with super sugary, undrinkable stuff? I am hoping to taste this experiment around the first week of October.
I did mine with three pounds of sugar and ec1118. Let it sit six weeks then bottled. Still came out very dry. But like everyone has said the longer it sits the better it gets. Mine wasn't sugary at all.

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy."

Old 09-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #10229
ypbradford
Recipes 

I tried this and got good results but very very dry. I am a huge Apfelwein fan after living in Germany for a couple of years, so although I like the way my batch turned out it seemed to be missing the tartness of Frankfurter Apfelwein. I talked with the guys at my local brew store and they told me that the tartness would need to come from the juice. So I am going to try an experiment. . . I have some jonathon apples just getting ripe and I am going to juice them and try a mix of fresh juice along with the bottled stuff (I don't have the bushels of apples necessary to produce 5 gallons of juice). Hopefully this will boost the tartness I am striving for.

Any thoughts?

Also could anyone suggest how much additional sugar to add - for example how much sugar is in the bottled juice; if I use a 2:3 ratio two gallons tart juice to three gallons bottled juice, how much more sugar should I add to get the fermentation I want?

Old 09-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #10230
Felixio
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypbradford View Post
I tried this and got good results but very very dry. I am a huge Apfelwein fan after living in Germany for a couple of years, so although I like the way my batch turned out it seemed to be missing the tartness of Frankfurter Apfelwein. I talked with the guys at my local brew store and they told me that the tartness would need to come from the juice. So I am going to try an experiment. . . I have some jonathon apples just getting ripe and I am going to juice them and try a mix of fresh juice along with the bottled stuff (I don't have the bushels of apples necessary to produce 5 gallons of juice). Hopefully this will boost the tartness I am striving for.

Any thoughts?

Also could anyone suggest how much additional sugar to add - for example how much sugar is in the bottled juice; if I use a 2:3 ratio two gallons tart juice to three gallons bottled juice, how much more sugar should I add to get the fermentation I want?
You could do that. I also have heard that a lot of local apple cider places will do a one-off pressing for cider homebrewers. It's typically more tart so the cider has more depth. I'd start by calling my local orchards and see if they do anything like that.

Tart flavors may be altered with the addition of acids.

Also, sugar content in commercial juice is like that in grapes, they may try to give you an estimated value for the nutritional information, but really it all depends on the rain conditions for that year and health of the plant. A gravity reading will give you a better idea of the sugar content.

Ed, what gravity readings do your batches typcially start with? Did you find that any range in particular was better/not-as-good?

Quick Reply