HDPE Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been just recently researching larger vessels. The Brute trash can seems doable. As an FYI, if you don't like that obnoxious yellow color they also come in white, blue, and other colors. And if you're not stuck on the Brute brand, I believe there are "generic" versions of the same trash can for a bit cheaper.

The other thing I found in my research was these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Screw-Lid-F...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec758840c#shId

Even at 13 gallons, I thought these would be perfect for secondary. They have an inverted dome lid design that would allow for minimal air contact during long term storage. The handles would be awfully convenient. And you could easily add things like connections for air locks and even a spigot if you wanted. I was even considering adding a connection for a CO2 line to transfer it via pressure from one vessel to another (screw top lids would hold at least a little pressure).

Only drawback, 13 gallons could get heavy. But as long as I'm not trudging up and down stairs or going long distances, I can lug 100 or so pounds around. Heck, I bet a full glass carboy weighs 70-75 pounds because of how heavy the glass is.

Hope this helps!

I have 6 gallon brew buckets with rubber grammets for the air valve that I use for my primary...they work great. I also use the buckets then for racking the wine. I have 5 of them...very useful and versatile.

I actually kind of like the yellow, lol. I received it today. I have about 15-20 gallons of pears in it now. I wish I could have gotten it in white, I figure the brighter the color the easier it would be to see gunk in it for cleaning.

I like the find, TexasWine. But after reading the doc liked from Yooper, I am thinking PET or glass is what I am going to end up with. I do think that HDPE would be fine for a secondary, but probably not for ternary and aging.

Probably 6 gallon better bottles (or clones). I am doing 20-30 gallons of pear, am in need for secondaries that can double as ternary. I was (am still) trying to be cheap, lol.

I actually kind of like the yellow, lol. I received it today. I have about 15-20 gallons of pears in it now. I wish I could have gotten it in white, I figure the brighter the color the easier it would be to see gunk in it for cleaning.

I like the find, TexasWine. But after reading the doc liked from Yooper, I am thinking PET or glass is what I am going to end up with. I do think that HDPE would be fine for a secondary, but probably not for ternary and aging.

Probably 6 gallon better bottles (or clones). I am doing 20-30 gallons of pear, am in need for secondaries that can double as ternary. I was (am still) trying to be cheap, lol.

So I gotta know what you ended up using. Got any pictures? I know you've made some progress because I see you asking all kinds of questions about flocculation and other stuff!

Stone et al:
In addition to permeability, I'd be concerned about extractable chemicals. I have several thousand gallons of poly containers, and use them for garden and camp toilet water ONLY. Would not use for food. For beer, I use BB, Vintage House PET, or ss kegs, Corny or Sanke. Glass is chem'ly inert, but extremely dangerous. Anyone offer plastic-clad glass?? Some vendor offers a ss in/out fitting for Sankes; not sure exactly what it does, but worth searching. Yes, I am a chemist.

I ended up with the big yellow job I posted. The kids love the box it came in, lol.

I then bought two three gallon and two six gallon PET carboys.

http://www.ritebrew.com/category-s/1897.htm

It's an online place, but they are local to me. I order then do local pickup. Great prices, since shipping is the gas it takes to get there.

I love these new carboys so far. So light. And they are ribless, so the view inside is awesome! I was hesitant on plastic. I still love glass. Love it. And I will continue to use it for long time aging. But for carboys that have to be moved, then stored, PET is seeming like a win. We will see about it after a few batches though.

I will post some pictures soon. I need to see some picts of the wine on tap project! I was reading that fairly close for a bit. Also, let me know what you end up going with. I know you are ramping up production. I'm following.

Back