Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Degassing Bottled Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 03:54 AM   #1
mrkstel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Degassing Bottled Wine

So, I screwed up. . . In my haste to get a couple batches of wine into bottles and out of the carboys, it appears that I bottled it either before it was completely done fermenting or I just didn't degas well enough before bottling. No matter how it happened, the wines (Noiret and DeChaunac aged 10 months in bottle) have a definite fizz in the glass and tickle on the tongue. Although the flavor of both wines is pretty nice, the fizz is just distracting and off-putting. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the extra gas in suspension. I have considered just transferring the wines from the bottles back into a bucket, degassing the traditional way and then rebottling. However, even if I lay down a blanket of CO2 over the wines, I'm still afraid of oxidizing them. I've also thought about using a sanitized bottle brush to degas bottles one at a time. As well as uncorking each bottle, heating it up to around 100*F and using a wine preserver pump to create a vacuum and suck the gas out of solution. I've tried both methods and neither one works all that well. Not to mention, I worry about the effects of heat on the wine. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might degas these wines? I will try just about anything at this point. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
WIP
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would open them all up and put them back in your carboy or bucket.

Marc Moberg
Assistant Winemaker/Cellar Manager
Inwood Estates Vineyards and Winery
1350 Manufacturing St. #209
Dallas, TX 75207

Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is the wine preserver pump very strong? I have no experience with them...
But I've seen several discussions on degassing bulk lately suggest a handheld vacuum pump.
There are 2 methods,
1: if you have a food vacuum sealer with the jar port you can use that.
2: Got to an auto parts store and get a Brake Bleeder Kit and rig that up

I haven't tried either of these yet, but there have been good responses on the board. I'll be using the brake bleeder method when I am ready. Maybe see if you can hold that vacuum for a while to let it fiz out.

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Vac-u-Vin works well, just keep pumping until the bubbles quit.

Pouring through an aerator will also work pretty well.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
mrkstel
Recipes 

This is the pump that I used. It does OK. But it doesn't pull all of the gas out of solution. I found that heating the wine in a water bath before creating a vacuum helped a little. But, I'm not sure what effect that will have on the wine. Good call on the bleeder kit. Though, I'm not sure if I want to spend $40 on something unless I know it will work. I think pouring into a bucket and degassing is probably my best plan of attack. Hopefully I can keep it covered with CO2 as I transfer. Should I add another dose of meta before rebottling or is there still enough in solution from the addition at the time of the first bottling? Thanks for the help.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkstel View Post
This is the pump that I used. It does OK. But it doesn't pull all of the gas out of solution. I found that heating the wine in a water bath before creating a vacuum helped a little. But, I'm not sure what effect that will have on the wine. Good call on the bleeder kit. Though, I'm not sure if I want to spend $40 on something unless I know it will work. I think pouring into a bucket and degassing is probably my best plan of attack. Hopefully I can keep it covered with CO2 as I transfer. Should I add another dose of meta before rebottling or is there still enough in solution from the addition at the time of the first bottling? Thanks for the help.
I'd get the bottles someplace warm first. Then I'd gently pour the bottles in the carboy, and dose with k-meta right away. Remember that if the k-meta binds to the wine, then oxygen can't. After the wine is sulfited, then I'd proceed with degassing and rebottling.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Sudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkstel View Post
Does anyone have any ideas on how I might degas these wines? I will try just about anything at this point. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Reprocessing in bulk or vacuuming each bottle as others have suggested is probably your best options. However, there's risk with both of these procedures as you well know, plus the labor involved.

Since the wine sounds as though it's slightly fizzy, have you experimented with one of those bottle aerators? The ones that are design to force the wine to breathe when it's poured slowly into your glass. I've found pouring a bright wine through one of these can take the edge off of lingering carbonation. It may provide enough effect to salvage your vino without further complexity.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
mrkstel
Recipes 

Yooper: Thanks for the advice. That is kind of what I plan to do at this point. I just don't think there is any effective way to do this in a bottle. It's always great to have one of HBT's resident gurus chime in.

Sudz: The wine is a little more than slightly fizzy. It is quite off-putting. I would liken it to around the level of carbonation found in a cask ale, maybe a bit less than that. I have tried the aerator and it was not effective in the least. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Operation 'Gas-X' will probably happen this weekend. Wish me luck and thanks for the suggestions.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 AM   #9
truckjohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I would vote for the suggestion of pouring it back into a sanitized carboy, adding a proper dose of sulphite, and degassing per usual methods.... Maybe even let it sit a few days under airlock, and then re-bottle it up.

With a vacuum system - if you don't have sulphite in there, oxygen will re-enter the wine... Air does a pretty good job of absorbing back into wine if you give it a chance....

Thanks

John

Old 02-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
Heineken_Draught
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

why don't you just try Pasteurizing the bottles:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/

Quick Reply