Carbing Apfelwein question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosen1

Reaction score
Just over a year ago I started a batch of Apfelwein and I have bottled it. I was wondering if I could buy a few beer bottles and carb it still without ruining it? What my plan is... Is to get a few flip-top beer bottles, clean/sanitize, add the Apfelwein and carb with a Soda Stream machine. Do you think it would work without ruining it?

So since I have bottled it about a year ago, I still can carb it without problems?

Yea sorry, I should read your question better.

No problem carbing a pre-bottled batch.

Awesome!!! Off to my LHBS I go!!

Hope I'm not too late with this reply, but why do you want more beer bottles if it's already bottled? Is your plan to carbonate with the soda stream and then bottle again into more beer bottles for long term storage? I think there's a few logistical problems with this if that's the plan.

Oh and make sure to have he video camera rolling when you hit that apfelwein with CO2 from the soda stream! You may win some money on America's Funniest Home Videos :)

Hope I'm not too late with this reply, but why do you want more beer bottles if it's already bottled? Is your plan to carbonate with the soda stream and then bottle again into more beer bottles for long term storage? I think there's a few logistical problems with this if that's the plan.

I didn't carb my Apfelwein. After clearing I bottled it into wine bottles. I was wondering if I did get beer bottles, Can I transfer it into the beer bottles and carb. When I went to my LHBS today, He told me I could take the Apfelwein out of the bottles then into a bottling bucket, then add the priming sugar then bottle it into the beer bottles.

I didn't carb my Apfelwein. After clearing I bottled it into wine bottles. I was wondering if I did get beer bottles, Can I transfer it into the beer bottles and carb. When I went to my LHBS today, He told me I could take the Apfelwein out of the bottles then into a bottling bucket, then add the priming sugar then bottle it into the beer bottles.

Yep, that's the way to do it! Gently transfer, so you don't aerate the cider, and then bottle it in beer bottles. Store at room temperature for a couple of weeks, then chill one and try it and see if it's carbed up well.

When I went to my LHBS today, He told me I could take the Apfelwein out of the bottles then into a bottling bucket, then add the priming sugar then bottle it into the beer bottles.

That sounds like a much safer approach, although I would have enjoyed seeing a fellow HBT'r on AFHV.

If your apfelwein has been bottled for a year now you also might want to sprinkle a little yeast into each bottle you want to carb. All the little guys from the first go round are probably dead now.

Somewhat related..........

Mine's bottled in 22 oz bottles. I have some fizz drops left over from a couple of 1 gallon batches. Could I just drop a fizz tablet in a couple of bottles and recap them (with new caps of course)?

The fizz drops suggest 1 for 12oz bottles and 2 for 22s. I figure one tablet would be good enough for slight carbonation.

Thanks for the info!! I'm sitting here fooling around with my creations and my wife told me that what I'm doing is a sickness... HAHAHA!!! Yes it is!!!

Back