Apfelwein + Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noisy123

Reaction score
I am sorry for posting this. I have used the search function and was able to find references of multiple cases of fruit being added to apfelwein but none that met my question exactly.

I am wondering if 1 can of Oregon Puree (raspberry) in a 5 gallon batch would be sufficient to give a nice bit of raspberry flavor. Also, to those of you who have added fruit to the apfelwein, have you been happy with the results?

I did a Cranberry Cassis Apfelwein a while back that was super nice, I added 1 liter of Black currant juice ( cassis ) and 8 oz of cranberry concentrate. It added allot of depth to it , a rich black currant aroma and cranberry bite as well as giving it a pinkish rose' color. I split the batch 1/4 still in wine bottles , and 3/4's carb 'd in 12 oz beer bottles - they are all gone - WAY too drinkable
:drunk:

Jens

I did a Cranberry Cassis Apfelwein a while back that was super nice, I added 1 liter of Black currant juice ( cassis ) and 8 oz of cranberry concentrate. It added allot of depth to it , a rich black currant aroma and cranberry bite as well as giving it a pinkish rose' color. I split the batch 1/4 still in wine bottles , and 3/4's carb 'd in 12 oz beer bottles - they are all gone - WAY too drinkable
:drunk:

Jens

Oakwood forge: Not to jack Noisy's thread, but I'm curious as to how tart your cranberry/cassis turned out & how the fermentation progressed. There's a LOT of ascorbic acid in black currants. I've been toying with the idea of using them, but the acid issue has me 2nd guessing things; both for taste and yeast health.

EDIT: And for Noisy's fruit question; are we talking a 16 oz can from the supermarket, or one of the 4lb cans from the HBS/factory? 16 oz in 5 gallons: NO. 4Lbs in 5 gallons will be quite noticable, especially in color & tartness. Regards, GF.

No direct experience but raspberries have a pretty potent flavor. A 4# can of raspberry puree should leave a nice flavor of raspberry in the wine. Apfelwein is a pretty lightly flavored beverage so the raspberries should be very noticeable but not dominate.

If you want a raspberry wine then you will need another can or more to make it the dominate flavor.

Craig

Latest posts

Back