1 gallon Berry wine degassing? What?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSlash

Reaction score
I made a trial batch of cheap wine in a 1 gallon growler that is a 100% mixed berry wine that I added 10 oz of corn sugar to.

First wine besides Apfelwein..

It fermented nicely for a couple of weeks then died down. It has been sitting 6 weeks now, but every time I pull it out to bottle I notice it is still bubbling.

Very small bubbles, and reasonably steady flow. Not enough to move the airlock during my few minutes of observation.

Started reading on degassing and people are saying only needed with kits etc.

Is this things safe to bottle or will I more than likely get a carbed taste out of it? Can I just rack it to another growler and then shake the piss out of it?

Don't have a whip...

I could just let it sit another month or two, but worried about it being on the yeast that long...

6 weeks is nothing!!!

Besides, it will "sit on the yeast" for its entire life, as the yeast stopping chemicals (sorbate and campden) do not kill the yeast, they just don't allow it to multiply rapidly.

Rack it again and let it sit 6 months.

If I rack it to another growler I'll have headspace, will that be Ok? I mean it is just 100% fruit juice out of a bottle. I've heard of people drinking this stuff 3 days after fermenting starts! hehe.

Yes.. you can shake the stuffing out of it.... Stirring it hard with a wooden stick also works just fine....

When you say you don't have a "Whip".... Do you have a coat hanger and an electric drill? If so... cut off 18" of coat hanger wire and use that in your drill.... or just use aforementioned piece of wooden dowel rod available at every Wal-Mart store in the USA....

Thanks

If I rack it to another growler I'll have headspace, will that be Ok? I mean it is just 100% fruit juice out of a bottle. I've heard of people drinking this stuff 3 days after fermenting starts! hehe.

No headspace allowed!!!!!

Top off with a like wine or even water.

Warm it up to 75 to 80 degrees, take off your air lock, put your palm over it, and shake the crap out of it. Get as much CO2 out of it as you can. If it is still one the lees(yeast and stuff), rack it off and top it off. Water, wine, whatever you have.

Thanks guys. Went ahead and warmed it up, shook it and bottled. The bubbles were already slowed down to almost nil this week compared with last. What little sample I got was darn good too!

Back