Recirc eBIAB questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgster

Reaction score
I am just curious who out there is running a recirc eBIAB setup and if they have any comments about how they find it works and how their brew days go.

I ran recirc eBiab for awhile but after upgrading my kettle and getting a new grain bag i'm not able to recirc any more so i check the mash every 10 minutes or so, stir, and heat as needed.

I really want to go back to the recirc method because i found it an excellent and extremely reliable way to make beer.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on a good brew bag that has been tried and tested with recirculating the wort through it? The current bag i have is so fine meshed that i'm not able to do this without causing air space underneath the bag even with the pump turned way down.

Thanks,

Might you be trying to recirc. too quickly, I know lots of people use my bags and recirculate. Perhaps throttling the valve back and pumping less?

Just an idea....

Edit...realized you are turning the valve way down....

False bottom or basket? What type?

Its a false bottom that has large holes. Even with it throttled all the way to a trickle it won't run. The bags on your site look like a much larger mesh than i am using, only issue i saw was the steep shipping to canada, is it that much to send via post?

I normally use the paint strainer bags from Home Depot but they start to get tears after 5-6 uses it seems. I put one of those in a steamer basket that had the bottom and lower side holes drilled out to enlarge and allow better flow. I still throttle the flow to a decent trickle. I do want to purchase a bag from WilserBrewer and see how the mesh size will affect the flow.

I normally use the paint strainer bags from Home Depot but they start to get tears after 5-6 uses it seems. I put one of those in a steamer basket that had the bottom and lower side holes drilled out to enlarge and allow better flow. I still throttle the flow to a decent trickle. I do want to purchase a bag from WilserBrewer and see how the mesh size will affect the flow.

If you are using a spoon to stir the mash it is more likely to tear the bag. I've begun using a wire whisk and have used the same bag for at least 15 batches with no sigh of it getting ready to tear.:fro:

Back