Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Pennsylvania HomeBrew Forum > Pig Roast, Sat. July 25th 2009, State College, PA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Pig Roast, Sat. July 25th 2009, State College, PA

Sat. July 25th, 2 PM - ????.

It's our tenth year and 3rd year for homebrew only. Our normal routine is we provide the pig and beer (and soft drinks) and ask people do bring a side dish/dessert to pass. Homebrew of course is welcome and we can do some tasting.

I will have 4 beers on tap in the Pig Roast Beer cart: A Kolsch, an Alt, a Wheat or maybe a Saison, and a Light Lager (Orange Kitty Zoom - which just took 1st place for a light lager at the NE Regional of the NHC)

I'll have more on tap in the basement bar, mostly a bunch of various lagers and I do have two experimental ales that will be old enough by then, maybe some more.

Depending on who shows up, we might have a jam session - likely jazz oriented.

If I get myself organized, I might even do a brew (AG) starting early enough to finish by 2 PM.

PM me for more details

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2009, 03:26 AM   #2
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
Sat. July 25th, 2 PM - ????.

It's our tenth year and 3rd year for homebrew only. Our normal routine is we provide the pig and beer (and soft drinks) and ask people do bring a side dish/dessert to pass. Homebrew of course is welcome and we can do some tasting.

I will have 4 beers on tap in the Pig Roast Beer cart: A Kolsch, an Alt, a Wheat or maybe a Saison, and a Light Lager (Orange Kitty Zoom - which just took 1st place for a light lager at the NE Regional of the NHC)

I'll have more on tap in the basement bar, mostly a bunch of various lagers and I do have two experimental ales that will be old enough by then, maybe some more.

Depending on who shows up, we might have a jam session - likely jazz oriented.

If I get myself organized, I might even do a brew (AG) starting early enough to finish by 2 PM.

PM me for more details
Phil,

Spoke with my wife tonight and as of now, I'll be there and look forward to it. You and your wife will need to attend mine sometime around the beginning of Oct. Congrats on making 2nd rd of Nationals! Have you let Kenny try that one yet?

Old 06-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Excellent! I gave Kenny a bottle of it and some others before I got the results. I haven't had a chance to stop in at Olde NY to talk to Kenny since then. I haven't told him the results yet either. I do need to stop in.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Bumpity.

Going into kegs, the Kolsch and American Lager tasted phenomenal! The Alt tasted odd, not infected, but odd. I did try a new step on this one. If I decide pass on the Alt, I'll serve a Helles in it's place. Last is the German Wheat that recently went in the keg. This was very wheat forward tasting with a hint of clove. Should be great all carbed up, all indications are that it will have a phenominal head. Plus a whole variety available for sampling - see my signature.

Still contemplating an experimental brew (AG in less than 3 hrs) earlier in the day if I get organized well enough.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Bumpity.

Going into kegs, the Kolsch and American Lager tasted phenomenal! The Alt tasted odd, not infected, but odd. I did try a new step on this one. If I decide pass on the Alt, I'll serve a Helles in it's place. Last is the German Wheat that recently went in the keg. This was very wheat forward tasting with a hint of clove. Should be great all carbed up, all indications are that it will have a phenominal head. Plus a whole variety available for sampling - see my signature.

Still contemplating an experimental brew (AG in less than 3 hrs) earlier in the day if I get organized well enough.
Phil,

I was really planning on making your pig roast. I just have too much to get ready to build the new garage. Hope to start the block work this weekend. I'll definately try for next year.

Mike

Old 07-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

I know what that's like. Too many things to get done. Let me know next time you are up this way and we can meet at Olde New York, or my place for more sampling.

Keep me posted on another bulk buy. My supply is starting to get low. I'd be in for a good 6 bags at least

Old 07-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I know what that's like. Too many things to get done. Let me know next time you are up this way and we can meet at Olde New York, or my place for more sampling.

Keep me posted on another bulk buy. My supply is starting to get low. I'd be in for a good 6 bags at least
I'll be putting another order together sometime towards the end of Sept beg of Oct, I'll let you know.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:34 AM   #8
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:

How did the pig roast go?

Old 07-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

The pig was fabulous this year! Carolyn's dry rub was a hit. We did have a downpour about 1 hr before we served and had to rig up a hasty tarp over the cooker - I broil, the charcoal is exposed on top.

Attendance was down a little due to the weather, but the people who came made up for it and we ate and drank as much as normal. We kicked one corny (the Orange kitty Zoom) and just about finished off the Kolsch and the German Pils (2-3 pts each left). We only managed to drink about 3/4th of the Wheat. We also sampled the beers on tap in the basement bar including another Wheat, the Deep fried Pale ale, a Fresh IPA and a sour beer.

Kenny and Sue made it.

I'm working on a lamb connection and might cook one up this fall, or maybe spring

Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
The pig was fabulous this year! Carolyn's dry rub was a hit. We did have a downpour about 1 hr before we served and had to rig up a hasty tarp over the cooker - I broil, the charcoal is exposed on top.

Attendance was down a little due to the weather, but the people who came made up for it and we ate and drank as much as normal. We kicked one corny (the Orange kitty Zoom) and just about finished off the Kolsch and the German Pils (2-3 pts each left). We only managed to drink about 3/4th of the Wheat. We also sampled the beers on tap in the basement bar including another Wheat, the Deep fried Pale ale, a Fresh IPA and a sour beer.

Kenny and Sue made it.

I'm working on a lamb connection and might cook one up this fall, or maybe spring
Wish I could've made it. Start the block work on my rebuild this Sat. Amish crew is scheduled to build it with me helping starting Aug 20. With the Amish crew the new Pheonix garage and brewery will be mostly finished by Aug 27. I'll be posting pictures here on HBT. With getting the building done, that'll give me more time to head back up to camp again come fall.

Quick Reply