Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > yikes, article has some misinformation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default yikes, article has some misinformation

This came in my inbox today, not sure how I got on the women's health mailing list.

http://eatthis.womenshealthmag.com/s...ial-guide-beer

For ales, brewers use a bottom-fermenting strain of yeast, and they let it do its work under relatively warm conditions. Lagers, the lighter of the two, rely on top-fermenting yeast and colder temperatures.

They go on to call Labbat Blue an American lager and spell it wrong, etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Strange topic for that particular magazine anyway. Labat Blue is an American Lager though. So is Heineken. It's the style, not the country that it's brewed in.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #3
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Canadian and American lagers taste different enough to me to warrant a sub-category, even the version sold in America is different from the version sold in Canada.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #4
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

There's always mistakes in these types of articles about homebrewing. The editors pick a topic and assign it to someone who does some quick research then writes the article. Remember that their audience is not homebrewers. Not to excuse the errors, but that's reality.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizgig View Post
Canadian and American lagers taste different enough to me to warrant a sub-category, even the version sold in America is different from the version sold in Canada.
You may feel that way. But they are the same style.

What bothers me about the article are

Under Pilsner

This is the beer that influences the brewing recipes of American lagers

A minute amoutn of research would tell you that such a blanket statement is not true. If you were to say that beers such as Coors Light and Miller Light are based off of the Pilsner style then you'd have a point. But they list for example Yuengling, and anyone who's had a yuengling knows they aren't based off of Pilsners

Then just having Wheat beer like it's a style of it's own. Like a Belgian Witbier is equal to a German Hefeweizen or Weizenbock or Berliner Weiss. I know this article isn't geared towards beer nuts, but I think having Blue Moon on the same list as a Hefeweizen isn't fair. You may not like the belgian style but may love the german's. I think sticking to more belgian would have been better fo rthem.

Saying that the Bitter predated the Pale Ale is kind of a lie. Afterall Brewers at Burton on Trent brewed a Pale Ale of their own, and most English Brewers called the beer Pale Ale but their customers called them bitters (because of the hoppy bitterness obviously)

I mean rather than continue I'll try to talk about the positives. If this gets a few people to drink some new craft beers, then it did it's job. It's short, pretty descriptive and maybe it gets some people to try somethign new. Can't go wrong with that!

Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
There's always mistakes in these types of articles about homebrewing.
There's always these type of mistakes in articles about anything. As I'm sure that anyone here who has gained any sort of expertise in any field (professional or hobby) knows, when you read an article in a general-interest publication about your field, it is absolutely packed with misinterpretations, misinformation, and just general wrongness.

And being someone who considers myself to have in-depth knowledge in only three things really (my profession of environmental engineering, and two hobbies of brewing and baseball), and who likes to consider myself conversant in many other things through general-interest reading, this occasionally makes me realize that maybe I don't know anything!!

I am not drunk! I am by nature a loud, friendly, clumsy person!

Airborneguy Likes This 

Quick Reply