Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Shooters/Reloaders

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
uechikid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Shooters/Reloaders

In the wake of the panic buying of ammo (and just about everything else gun related) I've been thinking about reloading. I know the are several ways to clean your brass, dry tumbling, wet tumbling etc. I was wondering if anyone here uses Star San to clean their brass. I took some miscellaneous brass that I had and soaked it in Star San for about 15 minutes, rinsed it and it looks brand new. It just needs to be dried. I guess the big question here is can Star San damage the brass?

Thanks

"Carpe Diem"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
BrewandWineSupply
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Star San is an acid baced sanitizer. Never thought it as a brass cleaner, always dry cleaned my brass in a tumbler with walnut and polished with corn cob.
Just a thought that long term use of Star San to clean may slowly erode away your brass making it thinner and unsafe. Use it once to clean real dirty stuff but not on a regular basis.
It got to a point where I had to check all my brass for cracks before reloading ( should be done anyways) because some had gotten so thin even the nickle plating had worn off.

Beer, wine, distilling and cheese supplies and equipment, Coffee, teas, and sausage and jerky stuff. Kegging equipment too.
Stocking Lublin, Lomic, Junga, Marynka and other Polish hops.
http://Brewandwinesupply.com

Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3000 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by uechikid View Post
In the wake of the panic buying of ammo (and just about everything else gun related) I've been thinking about reloading. I know the are several ways to clean your brass, dry tumbling, wet tumbling etc. I was wondering if anyone here uses Star San to clean their brass. I took some miscellaneous brass that I had and soaked it in Star San for about 15 minutes, rinsed it and it looks brand new. It just needs to be dried. I guess the big question here is can Star San damage the brass?

Thanks
I highly doubt it would, but I would be afraid that it could weaken the brass. I am sure a short soak would be fine but I don't know about longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Quick Reply