The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Pipe smoking, a lost art.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #231
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
That pipe you posted Dan looks just like the one I eventually found out was meant for weed. In case you were curious, cigarette tobacco tastes nasty out of them...
Funny how that works eh? Considering most of todays quality tobacco's are reserved for cigarette production.

It's too bad most pipe tobacco's are so heavy that if you do inhale, it's like sucking on the chimney of a steam locomotive. i could drop cigarettes completely if I could get enough nicotine from smoking a pipe. Good Snus is too hard to come by and import Snus is too expensive. I am just not sold on the eCig yet. I'd like to try but I am a skeptic. For all we know, those thing could kill ya'!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #232
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Lol. My buddy imports his snus and complains about the price all the time. Cigarette tobacco we used was probably pretty crappy. I was on a backpacking trip in Israel with two friends and we decided to buy a pipe from a hookah vendor and tobacco at a liquor store. Then tried to smoke without doing any reading, knowing about packing, etc etc. Disaster.

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #233
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
Lol. My buddy imports his snus and complains about the price all the time. Cigarette tobacco we used was probably pretty crappy. I was on a backpacking trip in Israel with two friends and we decided to buy a pipe from a hookah vendor and tobacco at a liquor store. Then tried to smoke without doing any reading, knowing about packing, etc etc. Disaster.
Most cigarette tobacco's are either Burley or Virginia. The former, I've read, is not a very good smoke unless it is cased. we all well know that cigarettes are cased with nicotine additives. At least pipe tobacco's are up front about what casings are used for flavorings.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #234
Turfmanbrad
Recipes 

I love smoking a pipe as it makes the stupid crap that I say seem intelligent when holding one. My only issue with smoking while drinking is it seems to burn my taste buds and mute the beer's flavor. Suggestions!

Brewing drunk requires several batches of experience, brewing drunk. -mrk305-

It might be horrible, it could be great, but it'll definitely be beer!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #235
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1543 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 2411

might I suggest stronger spirits whilst smoking and beer when you are not?

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #236
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1821 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 2616

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
UPDATE, because you care:
Stopped by a real tobacco shop last night. Picked up sample sizes of black cavendish, royal cavendish, and morning pleasure. So far I tried the black, and although nice and aromatic it was too wet I think. Morning Pleasure has been the best so far. Will smoke again on Friday.

The wife said that me smoking a pipe is "the opposite of cool". I think I'll keep it.
Black cavendish smells wonderful in the pouch and when I smell somebody else smoking it but I've noticed it does need to dry out a bit before it smoked. Very wet tobacco for sure but when the moisture content is correct a beautiful smoke.

My Virginia no 1 arrived in the mail yesterday. I thought I had ordered a tin but it was an 8 oz bag. Was a little dissapointed that not in a tin. But man it smells so good and it is not super moist like the tinned stuff. Probably brewing this weekend and that tobacco is going to take center stage!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #237
IXVolt

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfmanbrad View Post
I love smoking a pipe as it makes the stupid crap that I say seem intelligent when holding one. My only issue with smoking while drinking is it seems to burn my taste buds and mute the beer's flavor. Suggestions!
I found English blends over aromatics, longer stems and slower draws help a lot. Every time I'm in a rush I get tongue bite.

Edit:
Adding one of my pipes. A London Briar
20120417_165551.jpg   20120417_165617.jpg  
Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #238
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
These are Swedish pipes. All it says is Swedish Dollar on the pipe. The bowls are screwed on and a little peice of sponge sits under it. Not the best photos. They are a good smoke actually.

I need to get a better camera. These aren't the best pictures.

Has anybody seen anything like these before?

Attachment 77182
Attachment 77183
Attachment 77184
Attachment 77185
Are the bases and stems metal? The idea is similar to a Falcon or one of the other metal stemmed pipes with a screw on bowl.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-27-2012, 02:33 AM   #239
edds5p0
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfmanbrad
Keeping moisture and the gurgle down are the best things to prevent pipe bite. Slow draws are key, and tobacco quality can make a difference as well. If you get moisture built up, run a cleaner down the stem to wick it up.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #240
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1821 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 2616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Are the bases and stems metal? The idea is similar to a Falcon or one of the other metal stemmed pipes with a screw on bowl.
Nope the stem, base of the bowl and threads attached to the bowl are vulcanite (hard rubber)

The bowl itself is briar. These are actually very cool smoking pipes with the exception of the vulcanite threading.

I'm talking myself into packing one up with the McBarren's Virginia #1 right about now, but alas can't because I'm in the house. Maybe on the half hour car ride to work tomorrow!

Quick Reply