packers stock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't pay dividends, and it doesn't appreciate in value.

They limit ownership to 200,000 shares so you can't take control of the company (even if you had the cash).

So why would I want this?

They limit ownership to 200,000 shares so you can't take control of the company (even if you had the cash).

Purely to say you have it. It's a non-voting share if I remember correctly, so it's basically a $250 piece of paper. But, I might get my FIL one as a novelty for Christmas.

Purely to say you have it. It's a non-voting share if I remember correctly, so it's basically a $250 piece of paper. But, I might get my FIL one as a novelty for Christmas.

$250 for a Xmas novelty...you must be much more middle-class than me!

If you're not a fan, or you don't know someone who is, it's not going to appeal to you. It's like I said, it's no different than spending $150 on a authentic jersey of your favorite sports player.

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Personally, I didn't even know they were selling stock again.

If you're not a fan, or you don't know someone who is, it's not going to appeal to you. It's like I said, it's no different than spending $150 on a authentic jersey of your favorite sports player.

yeah, but you can wear a jersey! But as it has been pointed out, I don't get it. That's OK though...

My other question is why? Aren't the Packers profitable enough from other revenue streams (ticket sales, merchandise, advertising, TV deals, etc, etc, etc) that they wouldn't have to resort to this? Doesn't seem like any other sports team is hurting, why are they different?

Again, I don't understand...but it the Packers are OK financially (I'm guessing they are better than just "OK"), isn't this just them going out of their way to fleece their fans?

In the past, as I understand it, they typically have used the money raised to help pay for improvements to the stadium. It all depends on how you look at it. Me personally, I'm not a fan. I live in WI, but I didn't grow up here. But, I understand the mentality. There are A LOT of really die hard fans. In a way I guess you could say its just another way for the team to get more money from their fans. But, if you are a die hard fan who owns every other piece of fan gear, actually owning a piece of the team is like the ultimate piece of fan gear.

Personally, I would never buy one for myself. I look at it as a gimmick because that's what it is. But I do understand the draw.

yeah, but you can wear a jersey! But as it has been pointed out, I don't get it. That's OK though...

My other question is why? Aren't the Packers profitable enough from other revenue streams (ticket sales, merchandise, advertising, TV deals, etc, etc, etc) that they wouldn't have to resort to this? Doesn't seem like any other sports team is hurting, why are they different?

Again, I don't understand...but it the Packers are OK financially (I'm guessing they are better than just "OK"), isn't this just them going out of their way to fleece their fans?

It is sell the stock it raise cash for improvements to the stadium or ask the state and taxpayers for a hand out. Personally I prefer the stock option.

is it really a non-voting share?

Actually, I could be mistaken about that. I'm not 100%. But I do know that they are heavily restricted. They typically only sell 200k shares or less at a time to limit individual ownership. The shares can't be resold other than back to the team. They don't appreciate in value. They pay no dividends. They are a $250 piece of paper. But, you do technically own part of the team and you do get the stock certificate. That's the draw for a die hard fan.

By the way, here's a link to an article about some of the details.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-stock-sale-approved-by-nfl-131397703.html

You don't get a vote, but you do get the financials and are entitled to attend the annual company meeting. I'm just waiting for the word that its open for sale. I can't wait! Call it whatever you want but this is the ultimate piece of memorabilia for a football fan. I have too many jerseys to count and spend tons of money watching, attending, or celebrating games. Hell, I even play in a league. I can part with a tiny bit more to be able to say I am an actual NFL owner!

I misread the title. I thought it was Pappers stock. I would have bought a few shares of that...

That's why I thought it was weird that the offer had to be cleared by the SEC....its not really a tradable equity, its a overpriced souvenir.

Yes, but it's their still technically a public company and they are using a stock sale to raise capital. They have to involve the SEC. And since they're an NFL team, they have to clear it with the league.

That's why I thought it was weird that the offer had to be cleared by the SEC....its not really a tradable equity, its a overpriced souvenir.

True. But how many of you can honestly say that you own part of an NFL team? As I said, if you are not a Packer fan, you wouldn't understand. I personally don't own any shares, but know lots of people that are proud owners.

True. But how many of you can honestly say that you own part of an NFL team? As I said, if you are not a Packer fan, you wouldn't understand. I personally don't own any shares, but know lots of people that are proud owners.

Some people in my family own Cleveland Indians stock.:eek: They're proud and have the certificate framed, but from an investment (and really from a real life) perspective, it's worthless.

Didn't you guys watch the "new" Battlestar Galactica series? When the crap hits the fan, pretty much everyone is killed, and the Packers need to establish a line of succession, SOMEONE with that framed piece of paper will be calling the shots. If they need to go down the 100-thousandth level person, then so be it. Hopefully, that person will be me!

Didn't you guys watch the "new" Battlestar Galactica series? When the crap hits the fan, pretty much everyone is killed, and the Packers need to establish a line of succession, SOMEONE with that framed piece of paper will be calling the shots. If they need to go down the 100-thousandth level person, then so be it. Hopefully, that person will be me!

Bad news . . . they'll go down the waiting list for season ticket holders first . . . and thats 96,000 people long (last I heard I'm about 40k out)

:off:News Flash: You're cheese heads.....the zombies will eat your brains first.....:p

You do get to vote on board of directors. A few other little perks as well. My family have been PROUD OWNERS since the very first sale. I own, thru inheritance and purchase 101 shares.
GO PACK GO!

Uh oh... looks like I might have accidently put in two orders! Anyone else get a second confirmation email? I got one right away this morning, then another one apparently while driving home from work. It has a different confirmation number on it.

Back