OT: 2 Cycle Engines Gas Mix Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I have a 2 cycle engine I've been having problems with:

When I got it a month or so ago, it would hardly run, but it would. Instead of given it a 50:1 Oil Mix, I believe I may have given it 6.4 oz to 1 gallon, or approximately 2.5 times richer than it should've been.

I experimented a bit and essentially put pure gas with a tiny bit of oil in it. With this 'mix' it would start on a dime but run only 5 seconds or so before dying.

Does this sound right? I've been having problems with the engine and I think this may be the root of the problem.

Running a 2sk rich on oil, is not good. it's going to fowl the plug very quickly. drain the fuel, dilute and put in a new plug.

cheers

I think it sounds like a carburetor problem, the higher gas to oil ratio is helping slightly to compensate for a lean mixture. But I have limited experience fixing engines, someone with more experience will chime in and correct me if im wrong.

Mix up some new gas with the correct mixture. I recommend synthetic oil, I had a snow thrower that would only run for 5 minutes at a time until I switched to synthetic oil now it runs like a champ. Pull out the spark plug and check that its not covered in crap....if it is you can clean it but for $5 I'd just replace it. Hope you get it up and running.

John

1: Drain all old fuel out.
2: Remove spark plug, check, replace if necessary.
3: Put your thumb over the spark plug hole and try turning over the engine. It should have adequate compression the push your thumb off the hole a little bit. If not, it's rings. Rebuild is quite easy. Or (and I never said this) put a few drops of ATF in the hole and crank it a couple times.<- extremely hillbilly way to fix ring problems, NOT recommended.
4:put plug in wire and place tip of plug on frame. Crank engine, you should see sparks. If not, ignition problem. I would have to see the motor to tell you exactly what to do.
5:Take off carb, disassemble to the point you are comfortable. Spray it down with Carb Clean.
6:Reassemble carb and remount to engine.
7:Reinsert plug and connect wire.
8:Refuel with Correct fuel mixture.
9:Attempt to start engine with full choke until engine tries to start.
10:Turn choke off and start again.
This is what I would run the motor through before having anyone look at it for you. I love small engine work, it's all quite simple. This should fix your problem. If not, I'll ask a friend of mine who is a motorcycle mechanic for his 2 cents.

also one more thing. my old weedeater and chainsaw used 32:1 they upped it to 50:1 and one more thing is ethenol. some motors just dont like it.

StoutFan gave good advice. I keep two 25-year old Vespas on the road, I know a bit about 2 strokes.

I would definitely replace the spark plug, it's likely been fouled by the rich mixture. I'd advise against adjusting the mix. The oil prevents your cylinder from seizing, and you run that risk if the mix is too low on oil. Too rich on oil, and you'll foul the plug. Definitely go with synthetic 2-stroke, you can get it at motorcycle shops (Motul and Ipone are two brands). It will last longer and really help with your engine's lifespan.

You don't have a ring problem- I wouldn't worry about that. I would suggest taking the carb apart and blasting it out with carb cleaner.

Hope that helps. Post back if you still have questions.

And what has this to do with Equipment/Sanitation? Beer related?

Equipment related :drunk:

I've found that this board can usually help w/ stuff around the house too -- I'd take it to another board, but it typically doesn't get answered or doesn't get a good answer.

I've always figured others won't mind since I contribute $$$ :mug:

This new gas or better yet garbage they sell at the pump will over time destroy the rubber gaskets and check valves for the fuel pump inside these diaphram type carbs. Also check the fuel lines from the tank filter to the carb as well the return line as they will swell, get gummy and split open causing you to suck air causing a fuel starvation problem. I run RedLine's racing 2 stroke mix, best to run it on the rich side of the factory specs but not to a point of fouling the plug. (ror 50:1 for me 38:1) as an example. My gas scooter has the original ported cylinder, piston and rings going on 9 years of almost daily use over 100 gallons gas burned unless it's raining. I run it hard for a 41.5 cc motor up to 11,600 rpm 43 mph top end speeds. Not bad for a single speed until, later i'll install the Puzzy 2 speed tranny, a all 5mm belt driven scooter with seat. No license required 14.75" tires w/suspension. Bad back prevents me riding my 9 motorcycles. Others have run the factory oil ratios with same motor with cheap or lesser grade 2 stroke oil ending up with ring, piston, cylinder and bearing wear hence total rebuilding and replacement parts time. Get the correct oil as there is a difference in oils for water cooled vs air cooled 2 strokes. By 3-4 years this new gas makes mush out of all the rubber carb gaskets and seals as well the primer bulbs on average. Is this for a gas powered blender when camping or to stir your MLT or MLT? Any oil will kill the biers head retention, I would stay clear of this and go electric but then I do not know your intentions with this 2 stroke motor. Best of luck, no worries the carbs are simple just clean the outside and work on a white cloth table. Stock muffler or tuned pipe?

Equipment related :drunk:

I've found that this board can usually help w/ stuff around the house too -- I'd take it to another board, but it typically doesn't get answered or doesn't get a good answer.

I've always figured others won't mind since I contribute $$$ :mug:

I thought you were talking about some sort of kick-a$$ beer engine. :cross:

maybe he's trying to mod it to become a Stirrer for yeast starters:D
gas-powered-blender.jpg

Last night I changed out the gas to a mix I know is 100% right. I also put in a new spark plug.

Now it runs like it originally did -- It won't really ever get going, it just barely runs when I hold the gas all the way down. When I let go of the trigger, the thing dies.

It's on craigslist as we speak. I'm sick of this thing. Echo Blower is on it's way.

Last night I changed out the gas to a mix I know is 100% right. I also put in a new spark plug.

Now it runs like it originally did -- It won't really ever get going, it just barely runs when I hold the gas all the way down. When I let go of the trigger, the thing dies.

It's on craigslist as we speak. I'm sick of this thing. Echo Blower is on it's way.

try adjusting the idle. Or, get a can of carb cleaner, and spray in the carb. It sounds to me like you just need to clean the carb out.

2-cycle engines are great for the mechanically inclined because they are so simple. Gas, spark, carb... those are the only places that can have problems (basically). Most likely the jets of your carb are plugged or restricted with gunk.

To solve this problem, completely disassemble the carb. If something looks out of place or broken, by a rebuild kit. Soak the whole thing in carb cleaner for at least a couple hours.

Get a carb cleaning brush set (auto parts store). Use this to clean the inside of the jets.

Reassemble, and you should be good.

One more question, have you or anyone else tampered with the screws in the side of the carburetor? Those affect how the gas is supplied to the engine and will be a big factor in getting it to run correctly. If you have messed with these, try finding a manual for the blower and hopefully it will have the correct settings listed.

2-cycle engines are great for the mechanically inclined because they are so simple. Gas, spark, carb... those are the only places that can have problems (basically). Most likely the jets of your carb are plugged or restricted with gunk.

To solve this problem, completely disassemble the carb. If something looks out of place or broken, by a rebuild kit. Soak the whole thing in carb cleaner for at least a couple hours.

Get a carb cleaning brush set (auto parts store). Use this to clean the inside of the jets.

Reassemble, and you should be good.

One more question, have you or anyone else tampered with the screws in the side of the carburetor? Those affect how the gas is supplied to the engine and will be a big factor in getting it to run correctly. If you have messed with these, try finding a manual for the blower and hopefully it will have the correct settings listed.

+1 sounds like a carb issue to me. it should be a very easy fix if you have any mechanical skills at all. dont be afraid to try and clean it, worst case you put it back together and it doesnt run, then it sells to the same guy that was going to buy it anyway because he probably knows something about fixing small engines.

The sad part all the newer 2 stroke motors have fixed high and low speed jets, only the idle speed is adjustable. That new tier 2 smog laws. Yeah and they tell you a 26cc motor on 50:1 mix makes more polution than a bi V-8 engine. Screw the EPA look what they are doing to us in California.
New is not necessarily better.

Back