Lament for a dying parent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theKman

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this is pretty emotional.

A child should not have to feed their parent. My Mom fed me from the time I was born until I was able to do it myself (and quite a bit thereafter; she was making me grilled cheese's until well into my 20's). Yet yesterday, I had to bring the spoon up to my Mother's lips just so that she could eat. Thinking back, maybe if I wasn't such a stressful little bastard on her, maybe she would have the strength to overcome her current situation. When she, as a single parent, was doing the best she could for me, I was too busy being selfish to notice. She dealt with a difficult marriage, a difficult son, and a very difficult son (me). She dealt with diseases that slowly deteriorated her body, but never let on. She struggled everyday with the daily chores of living, but showed nothing but joy when looking at her lone grandchild. She worked, prayed, and fought for me, yet I have so little to give her in return. And tonight, as I watched a machine breathe for her, I realized that this is the time when a child has to grow up. There can probably be nothing like seeing a parent die that can force someone to grow up. I stand by her bedside, helpless to change the situation that confronts her. I don't want to grow up right now. I want to remember her reading me bedtime stories. I want to help her make cookies. I want to lick the beaters, damnit!!! I want to remember my Mom, not as sedated and intubated, but as lively and loving. The hardest part is to see her suffer, to pull against the restraints that keep her from pulling the tubes out. My brother and I rush to her side to tell her it's okay, to try and relax, that we're there with her and she'll be okay. She may pull through, she may not. Even though the doctors say they're trying to get the fluid out of her chest and may be able to remove the tubes in a day or two, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high. Fortunately, my brother and I both have loving wives to help us through this time. My Mom was one of ten children(the youngest), and I one of thirty grandchildren(also the youngest), so our extended family will help us get through this as well. I can only truly see this from my perspective, yet I feel for my 82 year old aunt, who has to see her little sister (my Mom is 67) suffer this way. I guess the one good thing to come of this is that it has me questioning my own health. I know I need to quit smoking, and drink less. I guess seeing those things through would be a proper tribute to the one that brought me in to this world.

I'm sorry to drop this on this board, but this really helped me tonight to get my feelings out. They don't seem quite real until I type them, then of course I start crying :( Next time you RDWHAHB, please have it for Frances. She deserves it. (Thanks to Rock Art Brewery's "The Vermonster" for helping me to get my feelings out tonight ;)

I just don't know what to say.
Don't give up on miracles - I've witnessed them and they do occur. She prayed for you so return that faith for her. Be there and be strong for her. She seems to have taught you that whether you realize it or not. Try not to regret being a difficult son but rejoice in how that has strengthened you as an adult.
I too really wish I was licking the beaters....

I know exactly how you are feeling. My 70 y/o mother died of emphazema last year, my sister the year before. All told about 14 (or more) relatives in 5 years.

Last Friday our 20 y/o grandson died in a car accident after rolling several times and exploding into flames. We buried him on Tuesday next to his brother who also died in a car wreck 8 years ago at the age of 15.

I know it hurts. If I knew the secret to getting over the hurt I would give it to you free of charge.

I know some people say "Just take it one day at a time", but I'm still working at one minute at a time.

My heart goes out to you in your time of need . I too have seen the ravages of age and abuse on the body both my uncles died too young and my FIL is the youngest of 8 kids and he just turned 70 only 3 of them left of a very close nit family ... Homebrewer I cant imagine what you and your family are going through.

K-man....I went through the whole for my Dad for a year until he died 2 years ago...I know exactly what you're going through...My dad was 87 when he died,

In fact my first funeral as an ordained minister was his...

My mom's 83, and I know that probably in the near future I'll be doing it again.

It's...One of the hardest things anyone has to go through...In some ways it's against the natural order of things.

BUT...If you are present to the situation fully, you will find many opportunities for some pretty amazing/moving moments of beauty...Almost "payback" for the love she gave to you.

One of the things that I used to do for my dad, that I found so moving was to shave him. Although I didn't have the guts do do it with a blade (I used an electric razer) it was amazing. He's sit there and look up at me with such trust (when it didn't look like he was feeling shame...which was often) I'd rub pre-shave gel on his grizzeled (though soft now) cheeks, then hum while I used the razer, then I would put after shave on him...and kiss his cheek.

He was the guy that taught me to shave after all....

It's hard, if you need to talk pm me...

But no matter how frustrating it may be sometimes, just send her your love while you are doing things for her....Just don't let it seem you are repulsed by anything (even wiping sh*t if you have to) she's feeling so much shame to be in this position of having the roles reversed.

ANd don't fall into that "if I'd been a better son" trap, It's bullsh*t and you don't need to wear yourself down or beat yourself up anymore...you need your strength, mentally and physically right now....Whether you were evil incarnate or a good son, wouldn't have changed her health status one iota.....All that's erased now anyway. Right now you ARE a great son....You're there for her, and THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS.

:mug:

ANd don't fall into that "if I'd been a better son" trap, It's bullsh*t and you don't need to wear yourself down or beat yourself up anymore...you need your strength, mentally and physically right now....Whether you were evil incarnate or a good son, wouldn't have changed her health status one iota.....All that's erased now anyway. Right now you ARE a great son....You're there for her, and THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS...

I agree...:mug:

Back