Kayak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking American beer is like making love in a canoe...........

Sorry, that's all I have. :eek:

Dark, rich and sweet?

shiner_bohemian_black.jpg

Thanks, everyone :mug:

Lifetime Tamarack Angler. This very one. Picked up a 220-230 cm adjustable feather paddle, too.

What I already like is that I can load and unload it so much easier than a 95 lb canoe. I tossed it in the bed of my truck, tied it down and took off.

How much does it weigh?

I'm looking for something to take with me in my RV. I already pull a Jeep behind the RV so cannot trailer any sort of vessel. I'd ideally like something that can fit two people as my fishing partner is only 8 years old but I'd consider two of these (the boy would have to wait before he was allowed on open waters, but I could teach him on smaller waters now).

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

EDIT: never mind. I see you already said 50#.

I would look at a Tribe 13.5 .. light enough to carry atop the jeep and a good platform for having a kid with u on the water

That is an option. During the summer the Jeep has the soft top, though, so I was hoping for a way to get them (it) affixed to the RV.

Yeah. I'm gonna be on this thing again. And again. Easy to portage. Easy to paddle. Didn't flip over. Super shallow draft. Nice adjustable seat. It even came with an adjustable rod holder. I was expecting only hole type holders and to buy the other, but I found the upgraded piece in the hull.

The hull storage is a little weird. Both hatches open to the entire hull. Pros and cons, I guess, but I'll rig up a way to compartmentalize it. It's not for loading up like the Ram-X anyway.

I'd say there's a good bit of zig-zag to it, but some of that is probably me; screwing with the seat back, the paddle adjustments, paddling different ways. I don't know about these drip cups though. I got a lot of drips on me.

What type of anchor are yall using? I've a Hooker which I used on the canoe and a flat boat. I've seen this slide along the side rig people use. Yall use that?

One of my concerns is that I'm in loggy bottom areas. Maybe a disc or saucer type anchor?

Or I could do what I sometimes did with the hooker. Jam it up on shore and let out rope to where I wanted to be.

Just went to costco yesterday and they got their kayaks out. $449 for a tandem and $249 for a single. Not bad

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Anyone have any experience with LL Bean's Cascadia sit on top series? I've been meaning to pick up a simple recreational kayak during cookouts and such. There's a bunch of calm lakes and rivers in my backyard. Nothing fast unless you wanna go past the mills. I'm seeing a good price on a basic tandem but then I saw another good price on the angler (one seat). And I don't have a fishing kayak sooo? I have two choices. One for family fun or selfish me fishing to go along with an Old Town I currently own. The only thing that is a problem with me is I'm 6'3" with long legs. I've used other rentals and I pretty much have to ask for the Herman Munster special otherwise I won't fit which I'm hoping that sit on top is not a problem. The buy is at an outlet store so I can't quite try it out.

I'd go SOT Angler. Clearly not built for speed but for stability. Also, it is my experience that if the weight limit is 250 and you weigh 250, get one that has a greater limit. It'll be sturdier. I'm not small at all so I learned that I was more comfortable when I went up in the limits on the actual kayak. Nothing sank, it was more about how it rocked and felt overall.

I'm really wanting to upgrade. The seat in the Tamarack is not so great. I did put a bleacher stadium seat in it, and that helped, but... And I'm wanting a kayak I can stand in.

The Tamarack has certainly got the job done. For the $320 or so I paid; total good deal. Very much bang for the buck. They're $500 at Cabela's now. Still worth it, if your budget is topped out at $500 for a yak.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lifetime-Tamarack-Angler-Kayak/2201873.uts

The new kayak requirements are:

Stand up in stable
Fishing stable
Sit on top
Faster than paddling a barge
No more than 12ft (but maybe 13ft). 10ft would be great, but the 12+s seem to be where it's at for standing.
Under $2,000

Under $2,000 coupled with the other requirements pretty much takes peddle drive out of the running.

I'm looking hard at these:

http://www.vikingkayaksusa.com/profish-gt/ ~$1,200.
https://www.nucanoe.com/pursuit-fishing-kayak/ ~$1,700.
http://www.bonafidekayaks.com/kayaks/ $1,300 to $1,600.

Bonafide is the front runner, even though they are brand new on the market. I haven't seen one in person. Should get to check one out in December.

Thoughts?

The difference between a good kayak and a Walmart special, cheap kayak is huge. They both work of course.

Been kayak fishing for 15 years plus

Will there be a semipro fishing YouTube channel? There are some slick fishing vids made with drones.

I wound up with the Bonafide SS127. Very nice. The seat is great. Super stable. Paddles well. I don't have the fins yet. Haven't felt a need for them.

Will there be a semipro fishing YouTube channel? There are some slick fishing vids made with drones.

I wound up with the Bonafide SS127. Very nice. The seat is great. Super stable. Paddles well. I don't have the fins yet. Haven't felt a need for them.

I have a sit-on-top kayak (and two others) that I converted into a fishing kayak. Spend a few weekends going ape over outfitting it. Went out, caught a trout, hated the whole experience, done with that. I guess I didn't do a good job, as others seem to love fishing from kayaks, but I felt claustrophobic.

Other considerations.

I am a canoe guy and have been for as long as i can remember. Had a kayak and hated it for fishing. As well, got too darned old and crippled to sit in it for too long.

I modified a 12' 6" solo Old Town canoe with a kneeling bar, pad on the floor and an extended kayak paddle. Can kneel in it for hours fishing without too much trouble. The Old Town Sportsman comes with a seat and foot rests. I didnt care for the seat it was too low and would strongly recommend a long kayak paddle.

@Yooper This reminds me I forgot to ask Bob about setting up my kayak for fishing. I think I will want to at least add a pump and rig up an anchor. I thought he might have some insight. I intend to just fish in the calmer, smaller lakes here in northern michigan.

So check this guy out. Doesn't say how long he was floating like a cork in the Everglades, but he was due back 1-29. They found coords on his washed up phone from 1-31. They pulled him out yesterday or this morning.

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/v...lRlPGo9MN8SJdHWa_4LnW30Co8OWiducF5IN8v84L92aE

PFD! And a whistle. And a water proof phone bag. I know a lot of us go alone, it is how it is, but having people know where he was and when he should be back all went a long way toward his rescue.

So check this guy out. Doesn't say how long he was floating like a cork in the Everglades, but he was due back 1-29. They found coords on his washed up phone from 1-31. They pulled him out yesterday or this morning.

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/v...lRlPGo9MN8SJdHWa_4LnW30Co8OWiducF5IN8v84L92aE

PFD! And a whistle. And a water proof phone bag. I know a lot of us go alone, it is how it is, but having people know where he was and when he should be back all went a long way toward his rescue.
I'm never out of sight of land and I live in a concrete jungle. Fishing is good 50 yards from shore!

But I still have a pfd and whistle by law, a waterproof box with my phone, and i do have a epirb I never carry (ya ya). I'm usually never deeper than 3 or 4 feet of water, too. This guy should have had an epirb. No excuse. Everglades are huge and full of things that kills

I'm never out of sight of land and I live in a concrete jungle. Fishing is good 50 yards from shore!

But I still have a pfd and whistle by law, a waterproof box with my phone, and i do have a epirb I never carry (ya ya). I'm usually never deeper than 3 or 4 feet of water, too. This guy should have had an epirb. No excuse. Everglades are huge and full of things that kills

I always have my phone/wallet in a drybag that floats. PFD is under the bungies behind me. No whistle though. Never even considered it. I do have lights for night kayaking.

I think the most important thing that is rarely mentioned is a paddle leash. If you drop your paddle (easy to do if you're resting it on the cowling) it can get away from you pretty quickly. If you flip on a windy day, all you have to do is keep a grasp on your paddle and your boat won't float away from you. THAT one can be a major problem. Another thing is to never open a compartment hatch while in deep water. If by chance the kayak flips, it becomes a submarine and there is no way to right it - yer screwed.

Yea, saw that in the local papers. I'm looking forward to hearing this guy's story. I'm surprised he didn't succomb to hypothermia.

Hey, for you kayakers that like to read, here's a few that I've read that I can recommend. All were excellent reads.
  • Running the Amazon (exciting)
  • Keep Austrailia on your Left (funny)
  • On Celtic Tides (a bit of an Ireland travelog, by kayaking around the island)

Jackson Kayaks makes about the best fishing sit-on-tops I've found. Ocean Kayak makes good boats too, but for solo kayak fishing, the Jackson Coosa is hard to beat. Rod holders, loads of storage, mounts for electronics, lots of accessories and stable enough to sit crossways on with your legs in the water. And the seat has a high and low position and can be removed and used as a camp chair.
https://www.jacksonadventures.com/products/coosa/

Jackson Kayaks makes about the best fishing sit-on-tops I've found. Ocean Kayak makes good boats too, but for solo kayak fishing, the Jackson Coosa is hard to beat. Rod holders, loads of storage, mounts for electronics, lots of accessories and stable enough to sit crossways on with your legs in the water. And the seat has a high and low position and can be removed and used as a camp chair.
https://www.jacksonadventures.com/products/coosa/

I've got a SOT that that I outfit myself - not as nice as that ^^. aftermarket pole holders and tackle crates, etc.

A fried of mine bought one that split halfway and opened up like wings - tons of stability when spread. Don't know the model. He loved it.

Have you checked out the Hobie Mirage? It's mostly unbelievable. The one I saw even had a mini-Powerpole to keep it in place in shallow water. $$$ though.

I've got a SOT that that I outfit myself - not as nice as that ^^. aftermarket pole holders and tackle crates, etc.

A fried of mine bought one that split halfway and opened up like wings - tons of stability when spread. Don't know the model. He loved it.

Have you checked out the Hobie Mirage? It's mostly unbelievable. The one I saw even had a mini-Powerpole to keep it in place in shallow water. $$$ though.
Hobie stuff is always top quality but top dollar too. There are a lot of good stable sit-on-tops for recreational use, but the engineering of add-ons and features specifically for fishing is what makes a brand stand out. Jackson has one of those split hull designs that can use a power pole. It's called the 360 Escape. They also have a larger boat that can fit 2 people called the Big Tuna. Their boats aren't cheap either, but you get what you pay for.

Was just down in the Everglades over Thanksgiving with the wife/kids. I've been in Florida half my life...but I mean to tell you...the sheer size of that land is absolutely ridiculous. If you started paddling on the finger creeks and lost sight of landmarks (of which there are very few), you're done. I'd be more concerned with exposure to the sun/elements than the wildlife (which we also saw a ton of). Glad he's alive.

On another note, I have a SOT Heritage 12' kayak that I use for fishing/touring creeks, and then I have an Old Town Loon tandem sit-in kayak that is a beast at 16'. Thing tracks like a dream though. I wish I was on it with some sudsy drink right now...

I always have my phone/wallet in a drybag that floats. PFD is under the bungies behind me. No whistle though. Never even considered it. I do have lights for night kayaking.

I think the most important thing that is rarely mentioned is a paddle leash. If you drop your paddle (easy to do if you're resting it on the cowling) it can get away from you pretty quickly. If you flip on a windy day, all you have to do is keep a grasp on your paddle and your boat won't float away from you. THAT one can be a major problem. Another thing is to never open a compartment hatch while in deep water. If by chance the kayak flips, it becomes a submarine and there is no way to right it - yer screwed.
Most def on the leash. Rod floats, too.

Latest posts

Back