Fruit Recall...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a big box a couple of weeks ago, and ate most of them, some more are in the freezer for smoothies, am I going to die?
Seriously, I haven't looked it up yet will freezing kill listeria?

I bought a big box a couple of weeks ago, and ate most of them, some more are in the freezer for smoothies, am I going to die?
Seriously, I haven't looked it up yet will freezing kill listeria?

According to this single test, NO:

http://news.psu.edu/story/141493/1994/03/01/research/sick-ice-cream

For her master's degree project, Municio inoculated an ice cream mix, froze it, packaged it, and stored it for one to five months before feeding it to two groups of healthy and immunocompromised mice.

She found that the bacterium retained its virulence even after five months of storage at -19 degrees C. "Freezing apparently did not cause enough damage to prevent the organism from spreading," Municio writes. It grew and multiplied in the mice's stomachs and intestines, spread to their livers and spleens, and in some cases reached their brains.

"Even after 18 months of freezing," notes Doores, "only 53.4 percent of the Listeria were killed."

Back