First University Payment!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just paid the first bill from the boy's university - good thing I've got brewing supplies to last me through the millenium :)

My boy is in a "dorm" that's better than any apartment I lived in when I was younger. He's in a suite, three bedrooms, five boys, a bathroom (with a weekly maid service), and a living room, corner of the building, floor to ceiling glass on the north and east walls, with views of the Sears Tower and Lake Michigan. :0

My boy is in a "dorm" that's better than any apartment I lived in when I was younger. He's in a suite, three bedrooms, five boys, a bathroom (with a weekly maid service), and a living room, corner of the building, floor to ceiling glass on the north and east walls, with views of the Sears Tower and Lake Michigan. :0

I know EXACTLY what you mean. College dorms were humdrum, spartan when I went to college ( we made our own fun!). My boy's dorm has an internal store, restaurant, game room, and a LAZY RIVER! It's like a resort.

Check this:

005.jpg

WEEKLY MAID SERVICE?

Jeeze. Kids today!

;)

My son is eight months. I'll likely need to sell body parts to finance his way through college when he finally gets there.

Kids going to college- LOL. My daughter graduated form high school one year early, with a year of college credits under her belt. I figured she was going to whiz through college. It took her 6 years, three of them out of state. She got a Bachelors of Arts in Ceramics - :eek: She is now in a Masters program for another year. Oh well, who needs more toys or retirement.........

My daughter just started Running Start. Wish they had it when I was in high school. She's starting her Junior year of high school and her freshman year of college at the same time, and all tuition is paid for. We just have to pay lab fees and books. The price of books are enough to make my crap myself. Thank dog for Half.com!

My daughter just started Running Start. Wish they had it when I was in high school. She's starting her Junior year of high school and her freshman year of college at the same time, and all tuition is paid for. We just have to pay lab fees and books. The price of books are enough to make my crap myself. Thank dog for Half.com!

We took a little bit of an unusual track with my oldest. He was at the very young end of his class when he started school. Then, when he was sixteen, we sent him to Spain to live for a year and attend a regular Spanish school. He was nearly fluent when he went to Spain and came back fully fluent.

Then he came back for a year of high school here. He could have taken summer school and/or community college classes to finish up that year (credits from Spain transfered but not all state requirements were met). Instead, we decided he'd take a normal load. So, he spent an 'extra' year, sort of, at his high school and loaded up on AP classes, which convert to college credit. He still graduated when he was 18. And last year, after classes in the morning, he was able to work at two internships - three days a week with the local professional soccer club (Chicago Fire) working in their media and public relations office and two days a week working for our local congressman. These were extraordinary experiences for him and I noticed a big change in him, a maturation.

So, with all the AP classes, as a freshmen he has received credit for and passed out of all the general education requirements except for one science lab. Every kid is different, we couldn't possibly take this route with our youngest, but for him, its worked out well so far. Last year, we would get the pccasional snide comment about why he's still in high school, but you know, to be 18 and have a resume that says you worked for a major professional sports franchise and a congressman, as well as having nearly 2 semesters of college credits under your belt without having taken a class yet, seems to have worked for him :)

Back