I was just wondering how many bicyclists we have here?
What kind of riding do you do?
Where do you ride?
Why do you ride?
What do you ride?
Just tell us a little about your Bicycling.
I ride 5-6 days a week to and from work. I commute 14 miles a day through the streets of Las Vegas. I try to get in a longer ride on the weekend, but sometimes life just gets in the way.
- I ride to be healthy. I have lost 25lbs since I got on the bike.
- I ride to save money. Granted, my car is rated for 39mpg, but every bit helps.
- I ride out of convenience. The parking situation at work sucks. At any shift change there are hundreds of cars all trying to make their way in and out of 1 parking garage on the back alley roads of Las Vegas Blvd. It's a farging mess. I can sit in my car for 45 minutes and not even make it out of the garage, or I could ride my bike and be home in under 45 minutes.
- I also love the bragging rights. Guys look at me like I'm crazy when I'm carrying my helmet into work on a 120* summer day. "Yeah, I ride 7 miles each way in the summer. What do you do?"
- I ride to do something different in my daily life.
I don't really ride to "be green" as some would think. We still use the car for errands and such. But I guess it is one less car on the road.
I have a few bikes:
My daily commuter is a 2001 Trek 7500FX. I really like it. I've got a rack on the back, head/tail lights, computer, etc. I just put on some new tires and some fenders.
I also just got a 1984 Puegeot P6 for 25$ on craigslist. the bike is in excellent condition. Just a little dirty, and a rusted chain. I've got it stripped to the frame right now. I'm getting it repainted and I like it so much that I might make it my good weather commuter, and use the Trek for foul weather days.
I also have 3 vintage Scwhinns. These are when Schwinns were still made in america. Now they are made poorly by Pacific Cycle and sold at Wal-Mart where they are slapped together by a minimun wage shelf stocker who doesn't know jack about bikes.
Anyways, I've got a 1964 ladies Racer (in pieces, rebuilding it for SWMBO...she wants hot pink), a 1970 ladies Traveller (basically the top end sister bike to the Racer), and a 1974 mens Suburban.
I've been on the lookout for a mountain bike. From what I've been told there are some good mountain trails out here.
Depending on the interest level, I may see about getting an HBT bike jersey going. What would you guys think?