The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Any HBT Bicyclists?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
talleymonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Default Any HBT Bicyclists?

I was just wondering how many bicyclists we have here?

What kind of riding do you do?
Where do you ride?
Why do you ride?
What do you ride?

Just tell us a little about your Bicycling.

I'll start.

I ride 5-6 days a week to and from work. I commute 14 miles a day through the streets of Las Vegas. I try to get in a longer ride on the weekend, but sometimes life just gets in the way.

• I ride to be healthy. I have lost 25lbs since I got on the bike.
  • I ride to save money. Granted, my car is rated for 39mpg, but every bit helps.
  • I ride out of convenience. The parking situation at work sucks. At any shift change there are hundreds of cars all trying to make their way in and out of 1 parking garage on the back alley roads of Las Vegas Blvd. It's a farging mess. I can sit in my car for 45 minutes and not even make it out of the garage, or I could ride my bike and be home in under 45 minutes.
  • I also love the bragging rights. Guys look at me like I'm crazy when I'm carrying my helmet into work on a 120* summer day. "Yeah, I ride 7 miles each way in the summer. What do you do?"
  • I ride to do something different in my daily life.
I don't really ride to "be green" as some would think. We still use the car for errands and such. But I guess it is one less car on the road.

I have a few bikes:
My daily commuter is a 2001 Trek 7500FX. I really like it. I've got a rack on the back, head/tail lights, computer, etc. I just put on some new tires and some fenders.
I also just got a 1984 Puegeot P6 for 25$ on craigslist. the bike is in excellent condition. Just a little dirty, and a rusted chain. I've got it stripped to the frame right now. I'm getting it repainted and I like it so much that I might make it my good weather commuter, and use the Trek for foul weather days.
I also have 3 vintage Scwhinns. These are when Schwinns were still made in america. Now they are made poorly by Pacific Cycle and sold at Wal-Mart where they are slapped together by a minimun wage shelf stocker who doesn't know jack about bikes.
Anyways, I've got a 1964 ladies Racer (in pieces, rebuilding it for SWMBO...she wants hot pink), a 1970 ladies Traveller (basically the top end sister bike to the Racer), and a 1974 mens Suburban.
I've been on the lookout for a mountain bike. From what I've been told there are some good mountain trails out here.

Depending on the interest level, I may see about getting an HBT bike jersey going. What would you guys think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I ride because I love riding and I love my bikes.
I use it for transportation when convenient but really the reason I ride, even when I have someplace to be is because I love riding. When im in a car I feel trapped, boxed in by the car and traffic around me, riding is the most freedom I feel during the day.
I ride all over lower westchester and NYC, both on and off road.

This is my road bike, my brother made the frame and fork. I love riding this thing

I also have an old canondale V900 MTB but Im building a new one, I'll post some pics when its done in a week or so.

Last edited by k1v1116; 10-05-2008 at 04:54 PM.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
talleymonster

Recipes 

This is my Trek:

I have since added black Planet Bike fenders and some new tires. Next is to rebuild my drive train.

This is SWMBO's Schwinn Racer when I got it:

Bike is actually pretty sound. Just has some surface rust and a banged up rear fender. Now I have it stripped down. Just a little more sanding then ready for paint.

1970 Schwinn Traveller and 1974 Schwinn Suburban:

Both of these bikes are in pretty good shape as well. I haven't really touched them yet. They both have generators for the headlights. Al original parts, except they are both missing the leather saddle bag that they originally came with.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Tankenator
Recipes 

Have a specialized hardrock sport (lower end but ok for what i do) from 2007, a mid nineties hand me down giant iguana that the swmbo rides (although it is just slightly too big for her frame wise, she has a smaller raleigh evo on lay a way at the local mennonite owned bike shop (no s***, they have very odd accents and its weird to see a whole cluster of amish teens on bikes riding the back roads, but it happens)

Ride for fun, but havent been lately as life has been gettin in the way--used to ride 100 miles a week or more, im lucky to get in 4 now.....

I think next spring i will be making a serious effort to ride more, i enjoy it, swmbo loves it, and its great exercise....

Primary: Basic Ale (not sure what style--my own recipie!!)

Old 10-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
Borisbbadd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like to ride, but you would'nt call me serious.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What kind of riding do you do? Mountain and some road.

Where do you ride? Mostly Mid Atlantic, but have ridden Tucson, Sedona, Moab, Park City, Asheville

Why do you ride? Sanity

What do you ride? I have several bikes. My main bike is an Astrix Monk. Its a full suspension 29er. My other common ride is a Surly Crosscheck set up for road (105 group). There are a lot of gravel roads around here, so I run 26 or 28mm tires. I also have a Quintana Roo hardtail mountain bike set up as a singlespeed. My 4th bike is a vintage 70's Batavus with chrome tip fork . It is set up fixed for tooling around town.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
heinz57
Recipes 

It's a little expensive, but I'd bet you'd look even cooler riding with one of these.

Talk about riding with the devil.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I decided to do a bikeathon last year for work. I had these grand ideas of training and working up to the the 70 mile trip slowly. Well, as TM put it, life got n the way. I did one training ride on my $30 ebay special road bike, then geared up for the ride. Not the smartest way to get into something, but I made it and feel like it really did have an impact on my life. I plan to do it again this year, but I hope to actually train this time.

So, I ride in the philly area (city to the shore)
I ride a hunk of crap I scored off ebay.
And I ride because I wanted to participate in a good cause.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
talleymonster

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz57 View Post
I've actually been eyeballing this one for quite some time now:

Old 10-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
talleymonster

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3n8 View Post
My other common ride is a Surly Crosscheck.....
I've been eyeballing the Surly Long Haul Trucker for a while now.

Quick Reply