Yoopers New Control Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChshreCat said:
So, that's Yooper's control panel? I always knew she was really an android. What do the buttons make her do? :D

She will have to wear it as a backpack so she can't see the buttons. Watch out Yoop I'm pushing the "-----" button.

So, that's Yooper's control panel? I always knew she was really an android. What do the buttons make her do? :D

That's funny right there! :rockin: You'll notice that there is no "off" button!

Ok, so we're brewing tomorrow. The recipe is a total surprise for lschiavo. I have a feeling he won't be surprised that it's an IPA.

Well, it worked great! There were some minor issues, because of my lack of attenation. One was overfilling the MLT during the sparge, because the MLT apparently stopped draining. It made a mess. And then a boilover. Which made a mess. And a few other minor issues, but none of them had anything to do with the equipment!

The control panel is easy to read, easy to use, and I had fun learning about it. I LOVE brewing indoors, and being all-electric. It's awesome!

Well, it worked great! There were some minor issues, because of my lack of attenation. One was overfilling the MLT during the sparge, because the MLT apparently stopped draining. It made a mess. And then a boilover. Which made a mess. And a few other minor issues, but none of them had anything to do with the equipment!

The control panel is easy to read, easy to use, and I had fun learning about it. I LOVE brewing indoors, and being all-electric. It's awesome!

Sounds like someone was having a few beers during brew day. :drunk:

I actually forgot to take any photos of the final product. Maybe yooper will post a few. Here are a few shots of keg soldering.

Bottom drain on HLT.
IMG_20110307_132240.jpg

HLT element half coupling before cleanup.
IMG_20110307_133939.jpg

HLT probe fitting. I used a brass compression nut.
IMG_20110307_141742.jpg

Herms connections. I changed the inside fittings to 90's when I put the coil in.
IMG_20110307_154444.jpg

Inside of HLT. Low level float, sight tube, element and HERMS.
IMG_20110307_154456.jpg

BK soldered and leak testing.
IMG_20110305_001120.jpg

Sweet. Can't wait for it to warm up so I can work on electrifying my system. But first I'll have to clean the garage. Maybe put some shelves upstairs so I have some floor space. And finish wiring up the outlets, and replacing the crappy fluorescent lights with something that will actually turn on in the winter.

Well, some of that can wait I guess.

Sweet. Can't wait for it to warm up so I can work on electrifying my system. But first I'll have to clean the garage. Maybe put some shelves upstairs so I have some floor space. And finish wiring up the outlets, and replacing the crappy fluorescent lights with something that will actually turn on in the winter.

I was pretty lucky. There was a chimney in my garage. I found a $50 woodstove and now it is always nice and warm for projects and brewing.

When you come up for the brewday this year, you can come to the house and see the rig! It's only 12 miles from the cottage.

Here are some photos from the build:

This is looking down into the HLT:
DSCF5530.jpg

The mounted control panel. To the right of the control panel is the valve for the HLT, which drains from the bottom:
DSCF5535.jpg

System ready to use:
DSCF5536.jpg

Boil kettle:
DSCF5539.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF5529.jpg
    DSCF5529.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 327
If you look closely at the HLT, you can see the Bobby_M sight glass. At the top of the HLT, you can see the stirrer which is mounted onto a small piece of PVC board across the top of the HLT. The stirrer sits in the middle of the HERMS coil. It's actually produced a vortex in 14.5 gallons, so there aren't any hot/cold spots in the water in the HLT.

This system is working GREAT for me! I've made a couple of 10 gallon batches, and a couple of 5 gallon batches. 10 gallons is easier, in many ways.

The temperature differential between the HLT and the MLT during HERMS is approximately 3 degrees. So, I simply set the HLT at three degrees warmer, and my mash temp is constant at the target. Ramping up to mash out is quick and easy, and I love the system! I love everything about it.

I plan on keeping one pump, but am considering a second. I plan on continuing with the CFC for chilling, and the only "new" thing I'm thinking about is a sight glass/thermometer combo for the MLT. That's only to help me with fly sparging. I'm having trouble getting the in/out exactly the same. It would be easier if I added a sight gauge to the MLT to keep an eye on that. If I"m doing that, I'd just as soon add a thermometer, instead of checking and rechecking with my thermapen.

Do you notice any difference in the quality of the beer between your old system, the first version of your recirculating system and what it's evolved to now?

Damn you. I was perfectly happy with my gravity system. Now you have me thinking about a pump.

I am so excited about coming up to the UP this summer and checking this out! I'm slowly designing my own rig, and this info has been great at helping me decide how to build mine.

I'm considering making a peristaltic pump at work, instead of using a March style. Simply because it would have a far less chance of ever breaking, would be easier to clean, and have tremendous lift. Not to mention nearly infinitely variable flow rate. Only problems would be difficult to build (compared to buying a March Pump) and probably not less expensive overall.

My planning has been going in spurts. I have to get the garage cleaned and organized so I can do some body work on the Durango, and replace the mufflers on our cars, and make room to work on mustang, as well and just get ready for the summer brewing. But the clean up will also help me be better able to design and build this kind of thing!

I'll have to see exactly what method Leon used to solder those connectors. I like them MUCH more than the weld job I got at work.

Quick question. For the element what type of coupler is that you welded in? Is it nps or npt? Im having a little trouble finding a 1" ss npt coupler. AnOldUR once I got my pumps I cant go back.

adivito said:
Quick question. For the element what type of coupler is that you welded in? Is it nps or npt? Im having a little trouble finding a 1" ss npt coupler. AnOldUR once I got my pumps I cant go back.

It is actually soldered and is a tapered thread stainless half coupling. I used straight threads on my hlt and they work a lot better when installing the element...the element will thread in far enough for the rubber gasket to work. I would recommend straight.

Homercidal said:
I am so excited about coming up to the UP this summer and checking this out! I'm slowly designing my own rig, and this info has been great at helping me decide how to build mine.

I'm considering making a peristaltic pump at work, instead of using a March style. Simply because it would have a far less chance of ever breaking, would be easier to clean, and have tremendous lift. Not to mention nearly infinitely variable flow rate. Only problems would be difficult to build (compared to buying a March Pump) and probably not less expensive overall.

My planning has been going in spurts. I have to get the garage cleaned and organized so I can do some body work on the Durango, and replace the mufflers on our cars, and make room to work on mustang, as well and just get ready for the summer brewing. But the clean up will also help me be better able to design and build this kind of thing!

I'll have to see exactly what method Leon used to solder those connectors. I like them MUCH more than the weld job I got at work.

I have been hearing about that garage cleanup for a while now;)

The soldering is really easy with a little practice and the proper flux. I have done less than twenty fittings and I am pretty confident now that the joint wont leak and will look pretty good too. I use a lenox flux from grainger #1uyg7.

adivito said:
Thanks. Where did you find the straight if you dont mind?

I just found my original order from buyfittingsonline.com. the half coupling I ordered was tapered. Somehow the element threaded in much better than the last few I used. I don't see a straight coupling available from them. Maybe it was just better machining?

There is always that last thing to add...glad to hear it's working. Just do ten gallon batches...beer wont spoil.

Oh, great. Encouragement to drink even more.

Do you notice any difference in the quality of the beer between your old system, the first version of your recirculating system and what it's evolved to now?

Damn you. I was perfectly happy with my gravity system. Now you have me thinking about a pump.

Well, no. The very first AG system with a turkey fryer on the stove definitely produced beer every bit as good as today's beer! The advantages, though, are awesome! The beer may taste the same- but I don't pour hot water from the stove into the MLT now, ever. That was dangerous. (Although you may remember some burned boobies from opening the MLT while pumping 175 degree water into it, post "new rig"!)

The main advantage to me is just the physical labor that is saved. The pump, the assurance of hitting temps, the dependable HLT, etc, all while brewing 100% inside is awesome! No more hauling everything out of the basement and then putting it back, and lifting all of the water and wort. A pump really is a great addition.

Maintaining mash temps is easier, boiling is faster, bring the strike water to dough in temps is faster, the pump means no pouring of hot water or wort, etc. The CFC chiller works well with our cold tap water. Overall, the ease of use has made brewdays so much more enjoyable that I consider the cost well worth it.

You don't need to drink faster just brew half as much...or you could drink more....either way is good!

I can't brew 1/2 as often- you know how much I love to brew!

And drinking more, well, I think I'm drinking as much as my body can possibly handle. :drunk:

Our IPA kicked today, by the way. But there is still amber and stout on tap, and a new IPA coming in a few days. Stop over!

Yooper said:
I can't brew 1/2 as often- you know how much I love to brew!

And drinking more, well, I think I'm drinking as much as my body can possibly handle. :drunk:

Our IPA kicked today, by the way. But there is still amber and stout on tap, and a new IPA coming in a few days. Stop over!

That is the solution. I will stop over more often and help you kick those 10 gallon batches;) I hope to drop by Friday afternoon.

I have been hearing about that garage cleanup for a while now;)

The soldering is really easy with a little practice and the proper flux. I have done less than twenty fittings and I am pretty confident now that the joint wont leak and will look pretty good too. I use a lenox flux from grainger #1uyg7.

Yeah, I gotta keep reminding myself to get it done! It's finally warm enough and I "THINK" I may have a day to do it this weekend. I bought a tuner with metronome for my daughter for her flute and she owes me some clean up the garage help! Blast some tunes and GET_R_DONE! That will be a big load off my mind.

It will take much more than 1 day to do what I need done, but I have to press on, so I can afford to brew without guilt later...

Thanks for the tip on the soldered connections! I want to build a portable heating element, but this will work nicely for the other stuff!

Back