Ventilation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showcow

Reaction score
Hi guys, i've enjoyed reading SO many threads in this forum, and they've been very helpful in my plans for an indoor electric brewery.

I'm doing a sort of "official" proposal to my wife in a week or so. Showing her what would change, what I would need to install, what it would look like, cost, etc. It's literally a powerpoint presentation, which I think is hilarious. I'm going to wear a suit. :off:.

Anyway, i'm having issues in deciding about ventilation. About 6 feet from where my ducting would begin, I already have a dryer vent. So I would like to use that hole in the house to vent the condensation. It's perfect.......

Except I'm concerned about a few things:

1) I know there can NOT be any condensation flowing down to the dryer, or the lint buildup would be awful (and dangerous). This seems to rule out just installing a Y connection and having the brewery vent and the dryer vent sharing the last 2' of run to the outside. Even with flapper valves on either side of the Y, I don't think it's a good idea. right?

2) I think the safest thing would be to just disconnect the dryer vent and connect the brewery vent each brew day, run the fan for a while after boil is over to vent any remaining condensation, then disconnect brewery vent and reconnect dryer vent after all is dry. Is there an easy way to do this and still be confident about no leaks (quick disconnects for ducting?)

3) I would really rather not cut another hole in the side of my house for make-up air, since it's a townhouse/condo. CO is not an issue because I have all electric appliances (no gas at all). There's a window I can open on the opposite side of the basement, would that be adequate?

TMI, sorry. basically, is #2 a good idea? Is there a way to disconnect/reconnect ducting that would be both a good seal AND not a huge pain to disconnect/reconnect?

Really interested to hear the responses. This (ventilation) is the one thing that's really holding me up for moving to the basement.

I'd love to use the dryer vent also (I'm hardpiped all the way from the back of the dryer to the vent), but I'm running the ragged edge for length as it is. I supposed I could run a separate line next to the existing line, but then I need to figure out how I could attach/disconnect from the outside vent.

Some form of a quick coupling at the end would be slick, but I'm trying to keep all resistance to an absolute minimum.

This is purely speculative, but if you were to install a Y-pipe and on the dryer side you had an in-line fan blowing out while brewing, it may prevent condensation buildup that could hamper your dryer vent.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have two separate ducting runs for the dryer and the boil-off ventilation. I was never able to find an appropriate Y connector, so I disconnect the dryer tubing and hook up the brewery tubing as needed. Basically your second option. Both runs use flexible metal tubing. Takes about 2 minutes to swap. I have a hose clamp on the dryer tube, just loosen it, pull off, slide the other tube on--the brewery tubing has a 6" to 4" adapter that just slides onto the vent. Which ever tube is not in use basically just dangles next to the other tube. Both connect to the sheet metal tube that runs out to the plastic, louvered vent cover. The photo shows the dryer vent hooked up with the brewery vent dangling.

vent.jpg

Thanks a lot for the reply (and especially your picture). I think I'm going to run the 4" dryer vent straight out with a tee and some sort of cap. I'll attach the brewery vent before brewing (only a small amount of flexible ducting) so that only the last 2 feet of run is 4" line. I think it should be fine with the cortex 450cfm fan to vent all condensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a 600cfm range hood that has a 6" duct out. I know this has probably been asked before but could I run this outside through the 4" dryer vent with out much worry for effective moisture ventilation. I like the OP would not prefer to keep cutting holes in my basement walls if not necessary. Maybe just switch the dryer vent when not in use.

I know that on kal's website, he mentions in the ventilation section that he uses 6' ducting all the way to the vent to the outside, then goes to 4" at the last minute. He uses a 450cfm fan and has maybe 15 feet of ducting and apparently has zero condensation issues... So based on that, I think you should be totally fine venting the condensation, assuming you solve the other problem about switching the dryer vent out (same problem as me).

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I don't like "safety sallys" I must give you a heads up about messing with any combustion vent and also depending on how tight/new your home is, replacing the air you are blowing out. You can pull the building in a vacuum. Just things to think about. I take it you can't find a place to hide the hole going outside? Like in the siding under the deck, or even a open window that you could flop some flex duct out when needed?

The house is 1976 and leaks like a mofo if my electric bill is any indication!

I would be opening a window in the basement (where the brewery is) about 25 feet away from the condensation vent, I think that should be okay...

Also this would be venting to the front porch which unfortunately is concrete.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back