Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Simple control panel wiring help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #11
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

On a separate note, does anyone have any recommendations for a thermocouple or RTD to use for this application? I've been scoping out auberins.com, but haven't settled on anything yet. Since I'm doing BIAB, I'm obviously going to be using this to control my mash temps so am looking for something that can give me a pretty accurate reading.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
SOB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheGreat View Post
Just thought of one more thing. Since I can buy a spa panel with a 50A GFCI breaker from Home Depot cheaper than a single 30A GFCI breaker, I was planning on feeding the spa panel from a 30A non-GFCI breaker using 10 guage wire from my main panel. If I understand correctly, the 30A breaker in the main panel would offer protection for overcurrent, while the 50A breaker in the spa panel would offer GFCI protection. Just want to make sure there is acceptable.
That's what I'm doing as well. In this instance basically all the 50A GFCI breaker will be doing (other than protecting you from a ground fault) is protecting the wire so make sure the wire from the 50A GFCI to the element is at least #8.

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Old 01-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

My plan is to use a Dual SSR and a DPST switch. I'm slowly gathering parts for my build.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
On a separate note, does anyone have any recommendations for a thermocouple or RTD to use for this application? I've been scoping out auberins.com, but haven't settled on anything yet. Since I'm doing BIAB, I'm obviously going to be using this to control my mash temps so am looking for something that can give me a pretty accurate reading.
Go RTD. They're more accurate and TC wires are brittle and may break over time with normal use movement.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
HossTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB View Post
That's what I'm doing as well. In this instance basically all the 50A GFCI breaker will be doing (other than protecting you from a ground fault) is protecting the wire so make sure the wire from the 50A GFCI to the element is at least #8.
Shouldn't a 10 guage wire to the element be sufficient in this case since the max current on this circuit is only 30A.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #16
HossTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Go RTD. They're more accurate and TC wires are brittle and may break over time with normal use movement.
How about this one? I like the fact that it has a disconnect. Would a 2" probe be long enough to give an accurate reading?

Old 01-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #17
JadeMonkeyStang
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Shouldn't a 10 guage wire to the element be sufficient in this case since the max current on this circuit is only 30A.
The concern is that if you have a short or other problem you'll be sending a 30A+ load across that wire until the 30A GFCI trips. In the real world it really shouldn't be an issue as the GFCI should open the circuit before any damage occurs but you could theoretically burn up your wiring.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #18
HossTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeMonkeyStang View Post
The concern is that if you have a short or other problem you'll be sending a 30A+ load across that wire until the 30A GFCI trips. In the real world it really shouldn't be an issue as the GFCI should open the circuit before any damage occurs but you could theoretically burn up your wiring.
So should the wire from the main panel 30A breaker to the spa-panel 50A GFCI breaker be 8 guage as well?

Old 01-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #19
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
So should the wire from the main panel 30A breaker to the spa-panel 50A GFCI breaker be 8 guage as well?
IMHO it should be 6gu.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #20
HossTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry if these questions are trivial, I thought that I had all of the wire sizes figured out but from the last couple of comments, now I'm not sure. Just trying to make sure I get this all right. So, 6 gauge from the main panel to the spa panel. Would you also recommend the same from the spa panel to the control panel? Then what size should I wire everything throughout the control panel? Just thinking that working with anything over 10 gauge in the control panel may be tough.

Quick Reply