A quick electric question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midget

Reaction score
I'm going to be switching over to electric and want to run something by you guys. I searched and could not find the answer. Is it possible/plausible to mount the heating element through the bottom of the kettle? Is there any possible problems with this?

The main issue is the liquid level must always be higher than the element when powered. In a boil kettle you might be able to get away with this if you always brew adequatly large batches.

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

The main issue is the liquid level must always be higher than the element when powered. In a boil kettle you might be able to get away with this if you always brew adequatly large batches.

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

OK, thanks! That makes perfect sense. This would be in the brew kettle only.

As mentioned the problem is that the element needs to be covered by liquid while in use. By going in the side as the BK is covered around the 2 gallon mark, you can start heating getting it just below the boiling point. Then once you are up to full volume you only have to get it to rise a couple degrees to boil rather than having to wait to heat the full volume.

That said there have been some people who have installed them through the bottom the benefit being it is easy to get a whirlpool going without the element getting in the way.

As mentioned the problem is that the element needs to be covered by liquid while in use. By going in the side as the BK is covered around the 2 gallon mark, you can start heating getting it just below the boiling point. Then once you are up to full volume you only have to get it to rise a couple degrees to boil rather than having to wait to heat the full volume.

That said there have been some people who have installed them through the bottom the benefit being it is easy to get a whirlpool going without the element getting in the way.

This was actually what I was thinking, or if I didn't use a whirlpool, at least the heat would be more evenly distributed...

This was actually what I was thinking, or if I didn't use a whirlpool, at least the heat would be more evenly distributed...

In the boil kettle you'll get plenty even heat distribution due to the boil, so nothing to worry about there, regardless of orientation.

Back