ebrewsupply DIY Kits -- Worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpenike

Reaction score
Hi all,

Piecing together a BCS system and at the point where I need to buy the components for my control panel. Planning on two control panels, one for the elements / pumps and one for the BCS, will allow me to keep the BCS powered for fermentation fridges but turn off the brew control panel.

Anyway, two questions.

1. I assume that I could probably piece together the parts that ebrewsupply puts into their DIY kits and save some money, but is there a significant cost savings? I'm not sweating ~$50 or so... Just trying to avoid getting ripped off while simplifying my order process. I'm looking at the 50amp 2 5500 watt element kit here: http://www.ebrewsupply.com/shop/ebrew-kits/bcs-2-element-2-pumps-50a-kit-365.html

2. Given the fact that there will be no PIDs or BCS in my brew control panel, is there any reason I should use a NEMA panel larger than 16x16x8? How large of a panel should I grab for the BCS? Planning on getting the BCS-462.

Thanks!

Mine was not a BCS, but I priced out the kit I bought vs a la cart from Ebrewsupply, and I remember them coming out equal, or the kit slightly ahead. That way you know you have all the parts, too.

Mine was not a BCS, but I priced out the kit I bought vs a la cart from Ebrewsupply, and I remember them coming out equal, or the kit slightly ahead. That way you know you have all the parts, too.
Thanks. Any thoughts on the size of the case?

Mine is in a medium sized toolbox. I think the dimensions you mentioned should be plenty.

hJ5IaYc.jpg

I just priced out everything out in the $290 kit and it came to under $175 (without wiring diagram)....and that was being generous and going with better brand ssr's (same brand as Auber sells) and the same brand switches...

I priced out the BCS from ebrewsupply and then tried to hunt down parts. I wasn't seeing much difference in pricing but I'm only just getting into this.

Mine is in a medium sized toolbox. I think the dimensions you mentioned should be plenty.

hJ5IaYc.jpg

That is super cool.

I copied and pasted most of the items... some of them I purchased recently so I know what they just cost me...
the real catch is time.... ordering directly from the source takes up to a month... ordering from a company you stocks here like ebrew is quick but you have to expect to pay markups and stocking fees...

I copied and pasted most of the items... some of them I purchased recently so I know what they just cost me...
the real catch is time.... ordering directly from the source takes up to a month... ordering from a company you stocks here like ebrew is quick but you have to expect to pay markups and stocking fees...
Yeah, that's where I'm ok with a small markup, everyone's gotta make some money and I'm paying for a convenience. Just want the price to be comparable and what you've said is it's pretty close.

I just asked Ryan for a custom quote, and his prices seemed very fair compared with sourcing it all myself. I was lazy and didn't hunt down ultimate prices on all components though. I would HIGHLY recommend EBrewSupply. Ryan is VERY responsive and seems very fair and honest.

I pieced stuff together. I ended up with teledyne industrial relays and Eaton circuit breakers. Check out automationdirect.Com for pices and parts. Lots of goodies over there...

I just asked Ryan for a custom quote, and his prices seemed very fair compared with sourcing it all myself. I was lazy and didn't hunt down ultimate prices on all components though. I would HIGHLY recommend EBrewSupply. Ryan is VERY responsive and seems very fair and honest.

I just ordered a kit from Ryan. He's a great guy, he spent 30 minutes on the phone with me answering questions, on top of the 5 or 6 emails I sent. For me it was about time and making sure I didn't miss anything when ordering.

He edited a wiring diagram for me as well as answering some basic questions about their kits. Ordered a 50a 2 pid kit from him today as well as a lot of label plates.

I built out my own and came in below what ebrew supply charges, but mine looks like crap compared to his beauties that he is offering. I think if I could go back I would take it all and put it in a customized box that he offers. but for now it works as i need it to, but is in no way in a NEMA enclosure at all...

I can not say enough about Ryan and eBrewSupply. Price is not the only thing you need to consider.
Help, insight and service all have value.

Will your lower cost Chinease vendor, pick up the phone and walk you you through a wire step.
Will they take pictures of builds in various states so you have something to work from?

Ryan will, I know that for sure.

Also, there is the fact that you have a single point of contact if you have a issue with a part that may not work.

Just my 2cents

In a few years, when I upgrade to a 1 or 2 BBL System, I will get Ran to put togethere a 4 outlet BCS conrol, and know that it is wrth every $$$ I pay for it.

T

I'm sure it's possible to come in below his prices if you are careful about where you buy every component, etc. If you want a pretty nice enclosure, advice on what to buy and why, as well as other options available, and fair prices on the other stuff, go with EBrewSupply! I thought the valuable advice Ryan has given me is worth the slight extra cost of purchasing everything through him.

You CAN save quite a bit of money fully doing it yourself, but you lose TONS of time required to plan (and I mean an astronomical amount of time) and support.

My biggest mistake was not factoring in shipping costs; when you order tons of little parts from a whole bunch of different places SHIPPING KILLS YOU; the shipping costs just EXPLODE. Whatever you do find 2 places max to order everything from to save on shipping.

Building my control panel required more planning time, more build time and more stress than any other brewing project I've ever done. The kits just might be worth it, all things considered.

I liked how much I learned by having to plan and do everything myself but the hours I spent were astronomical.

Adam

Also, if you don't want some of the "kit" components or want other components, just ask Ryan for a quote. He can piece it out for you so you get whatever you want for components.

By all means go with the kit. The few dollars you may save by hunting down deals just isn't worth the cost in time and shipping delays.

One thing I did initially is I used a heavy plastic Makita Tool Case. Cutting plastic is much easier. I was able to put it together in several configurations with some extra cutting. Once I really had the perfect layout I used the panel as a template and then did the final box cutout in metal. I actually changed it 3 times before getting what I wanted. Just a thought. Now I want to add the timer I left out, oh well Rev.4

Thanks all. I can't believe I'm considering this, but I'm now looking at their complete DIY kits now. Even at 1500$, it's pretty fair when you start piecing together the enclosure, components, BCS, and wiring. Ugh, what an expensive hobby.

Ryan is a great guy and all that stuff. He was helpful to me too. The biggest problem that I see is that his stuff usually isn't UL rated or made somewhere reputable. Pretty much everything is made in china. I know that is okay for most homebrewers on a budget, but when stuff fails I lose time, and I have had stuff fail, and then I end up spending time and money to right the situation. I might even miss a brew day because of it. My decisions are based on more than dollars. I am looking at quality and downtime. I bought a bunch of stuff from him but I have been slowly replacing it with higher quality stuff.

Thanks all. I can't believe I'm considering this, but I'm now looking at their complete DIY kits now. Even at 1500$, it's pretty fair when you start piecing together the enclosure, components, BCS, and wiring. Ugh, what an expensive hobby.

I tried pricing out doing it all separately, and his kits were pretty fair I think. You can cheap out and do something simpler, but why not just do it right the first time and not regret it, as long as the spouse can be convinced. :)

I guess I hadn't thought about that. I should have. I'll just have to see how his stuff holds up. I'm sure if it dies really fast, he would honor a replacement. What components have died that you bought from him?

Well keep in mind your paying for the support... he is buying the stuff in bulk from china and reselling it to make money... $1500 is a lot of money for likely about $600 in hardware purchased direct. But you do get support...

But then again I'm cheap it cost me under $300. To build mine and I have enough leftover stuff to probably build half another.. just because its simpler doesn't mean "It not done right" it could also just mean it doesn't have as much unnessesary clutter and cost involved... You can convince yourself whatever you want to justify your spending but If you REALLY shop around you would see theres a huge savings to be had by doing the parts sourcing yourself.... I buy stuff online every other day and I am not sure where the high shipping prices come in? All these components can be purchased with included or dirt cheap shipping... I spend 5 minutes pricing out the $290 kit components and was able to find everything for under 175 bucks... I could have priced cheaper components and done it for $150... I also realize some of that kit is completely unnessary and built the same thing for much less if I wanted to...

Well keep in mind your paying for the support... he is buying the stuff in bulk from china and reselling it to make money... $1500 is a lot of money for likely about $600 in hardware purchased direct. But you do get support...

But then again I'm cheap it cost me under $300. To build mine and I have enough leftover stuff to probably build half another.. just because its simpler doesn't mean "It not done right" it could also just mean it doesn't have as much unnessesary clutter and cost involved... You can convince yourself whatever you want to justify your spending but If you REALLY shop around you would see theres a huge savings to be had by doing the parts sourcing yourself.... I buy stuff online every other day and I am not sure where the high shipping prices come in? All these components can be purchased with included or dirt cheap shipping... I spend 5 minutes pricing out the $290 kit components and was able to find everything for under 175 bucks... I could have priced cheaper components and done it for $150... I also realize some of that kit is completely unnessary and built the same thing for much less if I wanted to...

OK, let's say you want a metal enclosure with hinged door and back plate, 16 x 16 x 8. What would you buy in that case and what is the cost? I just want an example.

OK, let's say you want a metal enclosure with hinged door and back plate, 16 x 16 x 8. What would you buy in that case and what is the cost? I just want an example.

http://www.aiconsol.com/snb-3737-bu...103427030885&gclid=CKOd0Yzg-8ECFTNp7AodrRUAbA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-NAME-16-...05&prg=11353&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=301304665773&rt=nc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoffman-A20...319?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item462c63abff
There's lots of options under $100...even more if your flex able on size...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electrical-...543?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566c8718ff
The enclosure can be the most expensive piece if you want it to be...

I use the $36 plastic one from the home depot... its much easier to work with.

http://www.aiconsol.com/snb-3737-bu...103427030885&gclid=CKOd0Yzg-8ECFTNp7AodrRUAbA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-NAME-16-...05&prg=11353&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=301304665773&rt=nc
h thttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoffman-A20R208HCR-20-X-20-X-8-Junction-Box-Type3R-Hinged-Cover-Enclosure-New-/301392440319?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item462c63abff
There's lots of options under $100...

OK, the EBS option is $100 and free shipping:

http://www.ebrewsupply.com/shop/enclosures/painted-enclosures/encl4x4x2.html

Your first option with shipping costs more than EBS to me.

Your second option is a good find though 1" short on depth and no back plate and happened to be on ebay, so is maybe $75 after all is said and done.

Your third option is more than EBS though is a bit bigger.

How about some contactors and SSRs. What would you buy as the best price and quality?

What would you choose for 20 gallon SS brew pots as the best deal?

The same SSRs rebranded and sold by auber are sold for $15 with shipping on eBay... I used 25a omron relays because by elements are 4500w ( I only brew 10 gallons at the most) but they are about $12 a piece. 30a contractors start at about the same price... 30a din breakers are $28 shipped and the 20a are only $12.... 5 packs on the 22mm led indicator lights are $3 shipped and those very same switches are $3 shipped...

As for the pot I used ballington which are also sold as Concord brand.... the 80 quart/ 20 g version is $103 shipped on eBay but you can often find scratch a dent ones for around $60...

I can not say enough about Ryan and eBrewSupply. Price is not the only thing you need to consider.

Help, insight and service all have value.

Will your lower cost Chinease vendor, pick up the phone and walk you you through a wire step.

Will they take pictures of builds in various states so you have something to work from?

Ryan will, I know that for sure.

Also, there is the fact that you have a single point of contact if you have a issue with a part that may not work.

Just my 2cents

In a few years, when I upgrade to a 1 or 2 BBL System, I will get Ran to put togethere a 4 outlet BCS conrol, and know that it is wrth every $$$ I pay for it.

T

+1 Building a mini ebian diy right now. Looking at purchasing something more later. I know I could do it myself, but buying from ebrew or electricbrewery seems to offer a nice support structure. Not to mention someone to yell at if needed (joke).

Just as a reference here is a link to my budget built panel. I gave actually changed a couple of tge switches since this because of cosmetics and Im building another panel for a friend.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/facelift-my-control-panel-497593/

Watermelon, having the support can be nice... some people may need it and some just use this forum and the internet... It personal choice and I totally respect that myself but I just wanted to bring a dose of reality to the fact the the costs are the same if priced individually (some of the stuff is priced competitively and some not so much just like mist retailers do it)... bottom line it you can spend a lot or a little and gave the same thing that will do the same job... I'm just one of those guys the does my own research for my hobbies.

I like your panel Auggie. Now if we could just talk you into posting a clickable BOM. Think of all the time you'd save me, er um, I mean us. 😁

So could I use this SSR for 4 components? 25a might be a little small for 5500 watt elements, but any reason it wouldn't work for pumps and ferm fridges?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/400747072152?nav=SEARCH

I have the same one..from that seller..keep in mind there's only one positive lead for SSR switching control and four negatives... I haven't needed mine yet... my $4 fotek knockoffs have worked flawlessly for 11 months now.

I have the same one..from that seller..keep in mind there's only one positive lead for SSR switching control and four negatives... I haven't needed mine yet... my $4 fotek knockoffs have worked flawlessly for 11 months now.

Sorry, new to this. What does that mean? The single positive to 4 negatives.

Sorry, new to this. What does that mean? The single positive to 4 negatives.

Well a regular SSR has a + and input from the pid to ckntr the switching.... the Teledyne has one + and 4 -'s and controls switching through "ground switching" by adding and removing ground to the - inputs.
Sorry in the woods deer hunting and fingers are going numb...

Well a regular SSR has a + and input from the pid to ckntr the switching.... the Teledyne has one + and 4 -'s and controls switching through "ground switching" by adding and removing ground to the - inputs.
Sorry in the woods deer hunting and fingers are going numb...

Haha no problem. So does that mean you can't switch each component independent of each other? Planning on using a BCS to control everything.

Back