Does element length correspond to watt density

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question. I've bought a few elements that have claimed to be ULWD and I speculate that they are not. Having some scorching issues with the RIMS when trying to ramp mashes from protein rests, etc.

I recently got this 220V element to run at 120V in the RIMS

Was supposed to be 17." It's 10." In the BK I have a 220V 4500W LWD foldback. It's 13".

So is there any way this 10" element is actually ULWD? I notice a lot of LWD elements of the same voltage and watts are different lengths. What gives?
How can I calculate the watt density?

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm not super versed in hot water heaters, but Omega instruments measures Watt density as Watts per inch. So in theory, you could divide the rated Wattage by the number of linear inches the element measures including any double backs and loops..

The problem is I don't know what the standards are, if any, for standard, low, or ultra-low Watt density. At least you would have some basic numbers to make apples to apples comparisons on your own.

Most of the Camco elements that I've seen have the part number on the black plastic portion as in the picture below.

Your element should be 02923.

Brewing_0521.JPG

The thickness of the element also contributed to watts per inch. So its not just length.

The thickness of the element also contributed to watts per inch. So its not just length.

Yeah I was going to say I thought it was watts per sq. inch - which would be:
Watts / (pi * diameter * length) = watt density
With length being the total length from where it leaves the screwed fitting to when it gets beack there.

Back