Brew panel wiring from dryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laughingboysbrew

Reaction score
For simplicity, I'm thinking of "sharing" the 30A wiring that feeds my dryer with my 30A brew panel. The wiring for the dryer is exposed in the room I want to brew (basement furance room), so I could easily pull it down, put a box/switch in, and feed the new dryer line back upstairs and the brew line over to my set up. Plan is to put a junct box with a multi-position toggle switch in so that both dryer and brewing panel can't operate at same time.

having a hard time finding a 30A/240V "multi-position" toggle switch (OFF,1,2 OR just 1,2).

Any thoughts on the general approach or where I can find this switch?

I'm not an electrician, but I don't think this would be a legal installation. Your circuits for fixed appliances need to be dedicated to just that one appliance. You can't tap off the oven, dish washer, garbage disposal etc. for other purposes. Your best, and simplest, option is to just run another line.

Interesting...my (trustworthy) electrician told me via phone it was probably allowed but hinted it was more "unethical" than a direct violation. I may be able to run a dedicated line off of my subpanel (next room over), but it would involve consolidating a few lines onto different circuits. Wanted to avoid that if possible.

An alternative would be to build a GFCI panel with a long enough cord to allow you to plug it into your existing dryer outlet, assuming that it is close enough to make it feasible.

"Interesting...my (trustworthy) electrician told me via phone it was probably allowed but hinted it was more "unethical" than a direct violation."

Again, not an electrician, but you absolutely would have to have it inspected and have the city agree with your electricians interpretation of code. For some reason, I suspect your electrician won't be at all interested in putting his name and license on the line for that type of installation. :)

Also, if you ever go to sell the place and get it inspected, a "weird" switch that the home inspector doesn't understand could end up costing you a TON in a sale. For the relatively small task of moving some circuits, I wouldn't even bother pushing the ethical vs legal angle.

Back