Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Do I have a problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Redogus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Do I have a problem

Evening folks, got a quick question, I've been making kombucha now for about a year " with no issues " I might add. Until now , the last 2-3 batches I've made it seems my mother does not fully rise to the surface. a new scoby forms just fine and everything looks and tastes ok is there something I could be doing wrong ? I just bring 3 qts of water to a boils , stir in one cup of sugar add 6 tea bags and let cool , pour into my gal jar , add 1-2 cups of the previous batch alng with the mother . Any feedback will be appreciated thank you , Ed .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
jambafish
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you're stripping away the old yeast on the bottom that could weight it down, periodically cleaning the vessel, and you have a culture that is still producing I wouldn't be too worried.

The yeast produces CO2, which helps it rise up in the container, but I've also had some brews where the mother sank and didn't come back up. Sometimes it's a matter of ensuring a stable higher temperature for the first couple days of brewing.

If it keeps up and temperature isn't an issue you could purchase and use a bottle of raw kombucha as starter and see if that makes a difference. I like to do that every now and again to keep an interesting colony.

Tap: DIPA, oaked Baltic porter, XXX pale ale, dark IPA

Bottle: vanilla kombucha, oaked puh-er kombucha, blueberry kombucha,

Primary: rose hip kombucha, oaked honey and oolong kombucha, hopped kombucha brewed with green tea infused with cab. grapes

Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Redogus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

thanks Jamba . I do clean my vessel about every 2-3 batches , but thinking about it the temp my be the culprit. I keep it on the counter next to the fridge but temps here in the house are pretty low in the middle of the night. Maybe thats it, may look into a heating pad.

thank you

Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Mine did that a lot so I just quit using the SCOBY. Problem solved.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Turdhammer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sink, float, it's all good.

Quick Reply