Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Quinoa Pale base

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
beltenebros
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Quinoa Pale base

We've been experimenting with all grain gluten free recipes, having the most success with quinoa, but having a lot of problems along the way. We decided to go back to basics and try to construct a decent 'base' to build off of. Our most recent batch has been just that, and I offer it here to you as a good base to build a decent Pale Ale off of. Input and suggestions always appreciated!

5lb Quinoa (sprouted over 3-4 days, dried, then lightly toasted)
3lb Instant Rice

Mash Quinoa and Instant Rice for 60 mins at 150-153F. We used 1.4 quarts water per lb of grain, and added 1.5tbsp Amylase Enzyme. Sparge.

.25oz Centennial (9.2AA) @60mins
.25oz Centennial (9.2AA) @45mins
.25oz Cascade (6.2AA) @45mins
.25oz Cascade (6.2AA) @30mins
.25oz Cascade (6.2AA) @15mins

1lb Dememera Sugar @10mins
4oz Maltodextrin @10mins
.5 Whirlfloc tablet @10mins

Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

OG1.05 FG1.006
33.5IBU

Came out a nice pale ale colour, smooth to drink, taste like bread crumbs, little to no hop flavour, mild hop aroma.

As I said, this isn't a finished product, but a good base to build off of. We're now going to experiment with Toasted Buckwheat, Candi Syrup, increasing IBU's, and using different hops ...

Cheers!

"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
igliashon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Interesting. I've got a quinoa IPA in primary right now, which used a combination of medium-roasted sprouted quinoa, puffed quinoa, unroasted sprouted quinoa, buckwheat honey, amber candi syrup, and rice-malt "caramel cookies". Hopped generously with columbus, cascade, palisade, and centennial. I took a taste of it last night and it was a bit acidic and not really all that impressive...I'm hoping that it improves with age (it's only a week old). I didn't rely on the enzymes of the quinoa at all, I did my mash using Promalt enzyme blend. I'll be sure to share the results once it's properly bottle-conditioned.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just in the interest of completeness, is this white quinoa that you used? Do you have another post or something describing your sprouting/malting process?

I did try to malt a small amount of quinoa once, and I've been planning to give it another shot this spring/summer.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 02-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Did you crush the sprouted quinoa?

so whether you eat or drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Quick Reply