PPM in typical IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisbliss

Reaction score
I have a question about the ppm of gluten in a typical IPA. I know if using clarity ferm you can get it down to about 10ppm or so. Just wondering if anyone knows what the baseline is for a normal NON gluten free ipa type beer?

thanks for input.

I suspect that the level of gluten in a beer is going to change drastically based on the specific beer and it's ingredient list. Generalizing, I suspect that a session IPA will have less gluten than a full, all-malt IPA; however it's possible that an IIPA could have equal gluten to a lower gravity IPA if a portion of the fermentables came from simple sugar. Unfortunately, generalizing like might be okay for calorie counting but is not advisable for gluten intolerance. I would search for specific beers you're interested in on google and see if gluten testing has been done on any of them. From an article I found, it seems as though darker, fuller, richer beers and wheat beers were among the highest levels of gluten.

HTH!

Stpug, yes I agree with everything you said. I did do some research and have yet to find a PPM # for what like a "stone" IPA would have ......

anyone ?

If you follow that link and click on Guiness they also show that as "very high positive" at 20 ppm. The way I read their test, there is no statement of how far over the 20 ppm limit either is and Guiness is like drinking a loaf of bread!

it's not the fall that kills you its the sudden stop at the end. Falling 200 feet of 2000 feet ends up with the same result. Be careful if you are really celiac.

Chris - thanks for pointing that out. Wow ! - ya I agree I was really looking for a actual #ppm as 20ppm is acceptable in a lot of situations as ok. This was a good starting point that pug gave us though......

I'm the author of the site http://gluteninbeer.blogspot.com
Thank you all for checking it out. Just a word on what my mission is. Like oasisbliss and many other people I am interested in the gluten level of beers, since I am gluten intolerant (but not celiac). A gluten testing strip allows you one attempt at testing whether the beer is above or below x ppm. I could use a whole bunch of testing strips (they're not exactly cheap!) to test one beer in order to get a more precise ppm measure but the internationally recognized safe level for celiacs is 20 ppm. So my thought was "Let's identify those beers under 20ppm". I would guess that once a celiac (or even the majority of gluten-intolerants) discovers a beer is above 20ppm it goes on the "do not try list" e.g. Guinness and Stone IPA (please note the reading for Stone IPA is NOT 20ppm it is "very high positive at 20ppm" meaning it is considerably more than 20ppm).
Others like myself and glutarded-chris are willing to take the risk of drinking a >20ppm beer and the exact ppm would help us gauge our gluten intake. At the moment I don't have the resources to use several strips to test one beer - maybe in time!
Thanks again for checking out the site and I hope you'll be regular visitors!

GlutenInBeer--those test-strips you are using might be useful to establish that something is "definitely not safe", but even those that test negative should not be regarded as definitively safe, or even having a high likelihood of being safe.

The 20 PPM standard is based on experiments in cross-contamination, i.e. when whole intact gluten molecules are introduced into the diet at a certain concentration. The studies from which that number is derived suffer from small sample size, but even within the relatively small sample population, 20 PPM is simply the number at which the majority (not the entirety) of the subjects suffered ill effects. There were subjects who suffered severe effects and had to discontinue the experiment at concentrations below 10 PPM, so it's not by any stretch a magic number.

In beer there are a number of variables not found in the production of any other glutenous food. Proteolytic enzymes found naturally in malted barley already show a tendency to degrade barley's hordein molecules into smaller peptide fragments, meaning that some gluten tests will give false negatives even on standard beers (at least, those allowed to undergo a protein rest).

The other problem is that studies on gluten sensitivity focus almost exclusively on wheat; studies on barley (or hordein) are comparatively more rare, and much of what is advised about prolamins are generalized from specific studies on gliadin. Even still, studies are starting to come out demonstrating that there are a variety of different compounds found in glutenous grains that may trigger reactions, and it is not clear if an exhaustive list of these can be made. The upshot of this is that it's not clear if current gluten tests can register the presence of all possible triggering compounds, and in a hydrolyzed food such as wort or beer, these compounds may all be separated from each other, and the absence of some of them does not indicate the absence of all of them.

Simply put, beer is a special kind of food that demands special study, special testing, and special regulation. It is inadvisable to suggest any conclusions about the safety of a beer can be drawn from simply using your test strips, other than that certain beers are "definitely NOT safe".

Latest posts

Back