Yeast Starter Still Good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alellujah

Reaction score
Hello, I made a starter on Monday (today is Thursday), then on Wednesday I decanted the spent wort and added fresh wort to raise my yeast count/volume.

When I got up late last night for a bathroom run, I found the flask full of a bubbling mass and the sponge stopper cocked out of the flask and yeasty liquid running down the side and puddling on my dresser.

I put it in the sink, took out the stopper, and covered the top with sanitized aluminum foil. This morning it I found that it had run out more liquid and is still full of a bubbling foamy mass.

My main question is is this still viable? Could it have become infected from having the stopper cocked out of the flask? I'm assuming that the emission of pressure from the flask wouldn't have let anything in.

I'm guessing that the wort I added for my second iteration had too much sugar available and caused the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Its fine... it likely went bonkers because there was simply a massive amount of yeast that was already in full gear.

Back