Wyeast 1728 WTF Mate!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBeagleBrew

Reaction score
So I brewed up my first Wee Heavy, an attempt at cloning Innis & Gunn Rum finish. I made a 3L starter (no stir plate) crashed and decanted the liquid. The beer started Friday at 1.072 and today appears to be finished at 1.020. The fermentation was insanely vigurous the first day, than the next day it died down to a bubble every few seconds, and today the airlock is pretty much done. I figured I must not have pitched enough yeast or not airated enough. Holy crap that yeast chewed through that wort fast. Pitching temp and ferment temp were around 66f. Another thing I was worried about was maybe the temp climbed up way to high and I would have a bunch of unwanted flavors, hydro sample tasted as clean as I could ever ask for. Anyone experience this with this yeast before? This stuff is crazy, I may end up racking her onto the rum and oak by the end of the week, rather than giving it an extra week. Sample tasted like there was nothing that required the yeast to clean up.

I say give it another week, my 1728 beer sat in primary for three weeks and the last two weeks were pretty boring to say the least, but IIRC it dropped from 1.022 to 1.012 during that time. I fermented at room temp (~70°F) with an OG of 1.062 for a smoked scotch ale. I like the clean full flavor of 1728.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Good to know, I guess I'll give it to Firday and if nothing has happened by than I'll transfer to secondary and add the oak and rum.

I would definitely wait until gravity is stable, that rum addition won't be doing a slow fermentation any favors.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back