What is Yeast Lab A08 yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwortiz

Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello folks,
I've got a recipe from a book (homebrew favorites, 1994) that calls for a yeast called Yeast Lab A08.

But I can't find this anywhere and never heard of it before now. Has anyone here? Maybe it's been renamed or there's a substitute?

Any help is appreciated!!

The recipe itself is named: French Boarder Guarde and the guy claims it's in the "grand cru" style. The Yeast Lab A08 Belgian Ale is the whole "name" of the yeast btw. If the entire recipe would help, let me know and I'll type up the shortened version.

Thanks!

Hello folks,
I've got a recipe from a book (homebrew favorites, 1994) that calls for a yeast called Yeast Lab A08.

But I can't find this anywhere and never heard of it before now. Has anyone here? Maybe it's been renamed or there's a substitute?

Any help is appreciated!!

Yeast Lab crapped out years ago. Those old labs (Yeast Lab and BrewTek) supplied slants and later some liquid yeast to homebrewers. A trappist ale from Wyeast or WL would substitute IMHO. Good luck...:)

Yeast Lab crapped out years ago. Those old labs (Yeast Lab and BrewTek) supplied slants and later some liquid yeast to homebrewers. A trappist ale from Wyeast or WL would substitute IMHO. Good luck...:)

French Boarder Guard sounds to me like a pun on "Biere de garde." If that's what it is, you can either go for any clean ale yeast, lager yeast, OR if you want it to be more "French" and estery, which is more likely for this recipe, WLP072 French Ale yeast. That'd be my first choice if it is in fact supposed to be a Biere de Garde.

You know...I haven't done much with the Grand Cru style in general yet...even when it comes to drinking it in general. I suppose my super smart-ness could have directed me to look up a grand cru recipe. oi vey. STILL, daksin, I had the same thought regarding the "word play"!

I have some washed 3787 and wonder if that might work out OK.....

Back