Weizenbock...stalled/done...blend or dump it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed a weizenbock last thursday (8-27-13)

The recipe is as follows:
10# wheat
5# dark munich
2# pilsen
.33# special b
.33# chocolate wheat
.33# crystal 40

1.25 oz Hallertau @ 60

Est og was 1.077, actual o.g was 1.066, got terrible efficiency.

I mashed in at 158*...on accident. I added some cooler water and stirred to bring it down to 153-154ish. I let the mash sit for 30 minutes at 154 and removed a third to conduct a decoction for 30 minutes. After the decoction, I added the decocted wort back to the mash tun and continued to sparge and brew as usual. I pitched a 3.5 liter starter at around 68* and it has been there ever since. I took a gravity reading on tuesday and it read, 1.040, no big deal, it's probably not hit terminal gravity yet, well I took another sample today (two days later) and it has not moved. I moved the fermenter to a warmer room...~75* and roused the yeast. what do you gurus suggest?

I'm a little confused. 8-27-13 was a Tuesday, not a Thursday.

Either way, I'd certainly at least give the rousing of the yeast and the warming of the fermenter a little time to work.

I'd wait a bit.

You pitched on the 27th right...today is only the 29th. Wait at least a few days. Still no change then consider pitching again.

If you somehow wound up with lots of unfermentables then gravity reading will be high and not much you can do about it. You could draw off a sample and try a mini ferm to verify...if that wont kick then neither will a re pitch. May need to add some nutrients.

Did you areate your wort before pitching?

Hows it taste now?

Are you temp compensating your hydrometer readings?

Did you run the numbers for diastatic power overall for this recipe? The wheat malts listed in BrewSmith are all over the place, from 0 to 95, this could have contribited to your low efficiency and maybe high non fermentables too.

Okay, a little clarification. I brewed last thursday which was the 22nd, not 27th. haha I definitely wouldnt be stressing after two days. Anyways, I did aerate with a wine degasser and strainer/funnel before pitching. But a pleasant sight awaited me when I came home from work...five hours after rousing the yeast and moving it to a warm room I have an airlock full of krausen and a busy airlock.

Okay, a little clarification. I brewed last thursday which was the 22nd, not 27th. haha I definitely wouldnt be stressing after two days. Anyways, I did aerate with a wine degasser and strainer/funnel before pitching. But a pleasant sight awaited me when I came home from work...five hours after rousing the yeast and moving it to a warm room I have an airlock full of krausen and a busy airlock.

Glad to hear things have picked back up.

1.077 OG isn't exactly a 'small' beer, so it looks like your yeasties just needed a little break, and a little encouragement (in the form of rousing and increased temperature) before getting back to work.

:mug:

Back