New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > washed yeast 11-15-11

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #21
stpug
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 127

That does not look like the yeast has done much work. It still looks like fairly clear wort to me. When my starters are mostly done they look VERY creamy as compared to when they started.

If you're just looking to experiment with old washed yeast and aren't overly concerned about the finished bourbon barrel ale then by all means keep at it. I'm sure that dumping that starter into a batch of beer and waiting you will end up with fermented beer, but the quality may suffer.

If you are wanting to create a good bourbon barrel ale end product then seriously consider using some new yeast.

Of course, is is just my humble opinion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #22
RoughandReadyRanch
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just did a series of wheats off an american hefe wheat washed over a year ago with the expiration on the bottle 6-10-12 and they just taste off. Can't quite put my finger on it but they all taste off. Starter was going like crazy at 24 hours.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #23
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
That does not look like the yeast has done much work. It still looks like fairly clear wort to me. When my starters are mostly done they look VERY creamy as compared to when they started.

If you're just looking to experiment with old washed yeast and aren't overly concerned about the finished bourbon barrel ale then by all means keep at it. I'm sure that dumping that starter into a batch of beer and waiting you will end up with fermented beer, but the quality may suffer.

If you are wanting to create a good bourbon barrel ale end product then seriously consider using some new yeast.

Of course, is is just my humble opinion.
after cold crashing... looks like yeast to me??? I am not trying to argue but trying to learn...I have a new smack pack of yeast to use but my sanitation is good.. this was started and stepped up....why not use it?
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 08-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #24
Veedo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I say try it. The worst that can happen is you make beer. I thought I remember reading a blog by kai that talked about yeast not losing viability as much as originally thought.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #25
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RmikeVT View Post
I gonna bet against the nay sayers. I'll take 4:1 odds that the yeast get going and only require 3 steps to pitch into an 1.050 beer. And to the poster who said the DME to get it going would cost too much, if there is any living yeast, you are wrong.

You can get 3lbs of DME for around $13.50/lb. Two tubes of Yeast is roughly $13-$14. So if you have the slightest bit of living yeast in there it would probably take about a pound of DME to get it to a viable count. Thats $4.50; even at 2 lbs of DME you are at $8....you by then you would have enough starter for a couple batches of beer.
I'll go with this as well. I've had plenty of years-old yeast take off no problem.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #26
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
consider using some new yeast.
That is, in essence, what he is doing. Creating new yeast from an old sample he had.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #27
stpug
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Give it a shot and let us know how it works out. I'm sure it'll ferment your wort and you'll end up with beer. I've ended up with drinkable beer using yeast old enough that I probably should not have used it. The beers turned out "okay" but I have a feeling that they would have been better had I used fresher/better yeast. Regardless, I drank the beer and it was fine.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #28
Token
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think it looks fine. Smell ok? Go for it; I'm sure your beer will be just fine.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:07 AM   #29
EarlyAmateurZymurgist
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I would plate a yeast culture that old.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #30
OHIOSTEVE