Using plastic container for carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PressFastF0rward

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few months now and have used both hard plastic and glass carboy for primary fermentation. I have a water cooler that I am periodically replacing the five gallon jugs for and bought a rubber stopper that fits the mouth of these jugs perfectly.

I've yet to try a batch using one of these jugs because I've read different negative reviews of the effects using clear or opaque plastic can have on a brew (these jugs are typically clear-tinted-blue or completely translucent.) Has anybody tried using these for fermentation? What have been your results? Are there certain plastics that work better than others?

HDPE (standard buckets), PET (soda bottles) or polycarbonate (5 gal water jugs, better bottles) are ideal. HDPE is heat resistant to boiling and above, though I avoid unnecessary heat because plastic is still plastic. PET/polycarbonate warps in the mid-100s F. Be sure your item is food safe, especially if HDPE (Homer buckets are not, try white food safe buckets from Lowes).

LDPE (Rubbermaid style totes) is not food safe or heat safe.

I prefer HDPE for heat durability and because I don't airlock, so the wide lid is an asset. Polycarbonates may contain BPA and still be labeled food safe in the US, which makes me nervous (my mantits are big enough, thanks). All plastic admits more oxygen than glass, but this should only be a factor for long-term bulk aging, in which case a glass carboy serves for secondary.

Translucency is only an issue if you aren't going to keep it in a dark place or cover the fermenter. You should minimize your beer's exposure to light, though as with oxygen this is less significant as the time between brewing the beer and peeing it decreases. If you want to use clear plastics and ferment in a place with some light, you can of course paint them.

Back