Thoroughly impressed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanasky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, I'd just like to thank HBT for enabling my lurking and homebrew addiction...I mean hobby.

For my first 6 batches I just used Notty dry yeast. This is not a thread bashing dry yeast, all of those brews (minus one, issues with extract flavoring/ferm temps) turned out very good.

For my most recent batch I decided I'd try liquid yeast. It was an extract cream ale that I've made before and at the suggestion of my LHBS I subbed 1056 for the Notty. Trying to keep things simple I didn't make a starter, and even without the starter the yeast started faster and has a more vigorous fermentation than I've seen before! Even keeping temps below 65* I've had to use a blowoff!

As a previous skeptic of liquid yeast, I can say that I am thoroughly impressed with it and will be washing this yeast for future use!

nice! I wish I would have gotten into yeast washing sooner! (2nd wash in fridge now 1 produced from washed yeast). since I've gone to all grain or partials I've gotten may grain bill down LOW... and with getting 4 more batches off a washed yeast it's dropped even lower! congrats for doing this early in your brewing! save your yeast bill for each batch of washed and get into mash tuns, wort chillers and more cool stuff!

Back