Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Testing long primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #31
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I really don't want this thread to become one of those arguments. As I said... We're never going to convince people that a long primary is a good thing to do. All I'm doing here is a little experiment to try to quell fears that it's a BAD thing to do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #32
BreckBastion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think it is pretty funny how people get all worked up. If you don't like what's on TV...CHANGE the channel.
I'm interested if you find anything Chshre so I'll stay tuned in.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #33
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

How about if you dry hop but then your primary goes longer then you plan? Woo hoo 400th post!

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #34
Jota21
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

subscribed!

Old 12-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #35
BreckBastion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would say that if you dry hopped, then hopefully we're not talking weeks. Do you have a situation like that? How long on the hops? Does it taste like fescue?

Old 12-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #36
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckBastion View Post
I would say that if you dry hopped, then hopefully we're not talking weeks. Do you have a situation like that? How long on the hops? Does it taste like fescue?
Its been dry hoped about 2 weeks now. Gonna keg it today or tomorrow. Just curious what happens if youre dry hop goes long, not trying to hijack the thread but thought it pertains.

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 12-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #37
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
I really don't want this thread to become one of those arguments. As I said... We're never going to convince people that a long primary is a good thing to do. All I'm doing here is a little experiment to try to quell fears that it's a BAD thing to do.
I agree with you and your approach. I just had to respond to some misleading information contained here

Quote:
I've said it over and over, I've been getting honorable mentions and even medals for my beers since the very first batch I did a long primary for several years, that's EXACTLY why I keep doing it. First contest I entered the long primary beer did waaaay better than the one I secondaried, and the comments were, "crystal clear" "Crisp tasting" and the one that nailed it for me, "Jewell Like Appearance."

That was WHY I became an advocate to begin with.

Leaving a beer in the fermenter for 4 weeks that did not have award winning flavor at 2 weeks is not going to make it now award winning. Yes, there is something to be said about a "conditioning" phase, but usually that is done cold and having a big pile of yeast underneath is not the reason that the flavor has now come together. Just because those beers won awards and were very good beers does not mean that it was the long time sitting on the yeast that made them that way. Also, I have no idea how "crisp tasting" has anything to do with leaving the beer sitting on the yeast? I would like someone to try to quantify that for me. That seems like it would have more to do with a good recipe, good process, healthy fermentation, and especially the proper pH. I just see Revvy all over this forum speaking to the greatness of long times spent in the fermenter and I don't believe that it is as important as he says it is.

After all, Jamil the yeast whisperer himself usually only holds his beer in the fermenter for 8-14 days for ales according to most of his podcasts and it is hard to argue with his success.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #38
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricT View Post
Its been dry hoped about 2 weeks now. Gonna keg it today or tomorrow. Just curious what happens if youre dry hop goes long, not trying to hijack the thread but thought it pertains.
If you dry hop too long you can develop some odd vegetal flavors to your beer. I've also found that there's kind of a curve involved in the aroma. As you dry hop longer it imparts more aroma to the beer, but eventually you peak and it starts dropping off again as the volatiles start evaporating from the beer faster than they're being extracted from the hops.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #39
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
If you dry hop too long you can develop some odd vegetal flavors to your beer. I've also found that there's kind of a curve involved in the aroma. As you dry hop longer it imparts more aroma to the beer, but eventually you peak and it starts dropping off again as the volatiles start evaporating from the beer faster than they're being extracted from the hops.
What is your experience of being too long? And at what volumes of hops are we speaking of?

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #40
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I inadvertantly dryhopped an APA for 18 days with 1.5 ounces of hops (1 oz amarillo and .5 cascade), then moved it to a tertiary fermenter for a week to try to settle out some of the hop particles (I dry hopped with pellets that time) before bottling. I submitted it to the HBT BJCP competition last year and it won the American ales category so it couldn't have been too bad of a thing. Although, the one criticism the judges had was that it could've used a little more hop aroma.

Quick Reply