Temperature control...how long is critical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrawfo2

Reaction score
I Ferment in my mid 60 degree basement. How long do I need to strictly control fermentation with an ice bath?
I know fermentation is exoteric, but I'm guessing the later stages are less critical

For as long as there is an active krauesen layer to be safe. Once it starts to drop, you can let it warm up and finish at room temp. This is usually 2-3 days, in general, but some beers take longer to ferment, of course.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping. Since it's so cool in my basement I was hoping to avoid a fermentation chamber for now. A bus tub and bottles of ice works great to keep me at 64. I cN do this for a week, would get old for three weeks

Thanks. That's what I was hoping. Since it's so cool in my basement I was hoping to avoid a fermentation chamber for now. A bus tub and bottles of ice works great to keep me at 64. I cN do this for a week, would get old for three weeks

My downstairs is in the mid 60°s in the summer. I use a swamp cooler with a towel around my fermentors to wick up water and a fan. The fan will keep the wort at 62° to 64° depending on OG. No need to bother with ice blocks.

I use a ferm chamber and usually just turn it off and let the beer rise to room temp after krausen has fallen.

Back