T-58 Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lutherslagers

Reaction score
My LHBS just gave me 5 packets of Fermentis T-58. I've never used it. Actually, I haven't used dry yeast in 5 years. Anyway, its free yeast so I thought I'd try it this weekend. Anyone have a recipe they really like using with T-58?

Im going to try it with a pumpkin and a wheat these next two weeks.

I do a wheat that is 45% 2 row, 45% malted wheat, 10% british pale crystal (15°). 20 ibus Amarillo at 60a min and 2 oz at flameout for 15 min whirlpool. Sg is 1.044 and I mash warm for body. Ferment warm, between 72-75° for two weeks.
Does have a mild Belgian spice flavor to it, but it can be easily overpowered by a lot of hops. This yeast also takes off really fast and finishes within just a couple of days.

I think thats what happened with my s-33 yeast. I did a belgian pale ale and cannot get much but the hops and caramel sweet. I fermented around 68. too low i think.I didnt get much at all out of its esteryness.Im putting the t-58 upstairs at room temp 73 deg to get some of those characteristics rather than the basement .Same thing happend with munich wheat,fermented on the low end and didnt get much out of that yeast either.

I made a pretty good wit with T-58. Started fermentation in the mid 60's then ramped it up to low 70's over a week.

It's good for Belgian styles; it definitely develops the phenols and esters associated with them. I have made tripels with it, along with witbier and a Belgian Pale. You might also try a Belgian IPA, I think it would be good for that.

Back