Started needed for Lager with 1.048 SG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel82

Reaction score
Just got the Bohemian Dark Lager kit from Midwest brewing supplies. I have the white labs 830 yeast tube. I know Lagers need starters for the majority of them, but with this SG being 1.044-1.048 do I need to make one? If so its no problem but I will have to put of the brew day a week or two till I get the needed supplies.

Thanks for your help. This would be an impossible hobby without the help I've received off this site. :mug:

And yes a starter is required , to get proper fermentation you will also need to maintain 50-55 degrees through. According to the WL website.

You always need a starter... You need to proof the viability of the yeast, and up the viable cell count versus the inviable cell count.

You always need a starter... You need to proof the viability of the yeast, and up the viable cell count versus the inviable cell count.

+1 I forgot to mention that, unless your using dry yeast for ales the just rehydrate before you pitch. Good catch Daniel82.

Yes I have a chest freezer with temp control for fermentation. I will make a starter for it no problem. Should I get my wort down to the desired fermentation temp before pitching? As in sit my wort in the freezer for a few hours till it regulates to the desired temp then go back and pitch or will the time between making the wort and pitching the yeast be an issue?

Will do thanks for the input. It will be a week or two before I get my stirplate up and going so I may be asking similar questions in a week or so, but yall have given me a good plan to go on for my first lager and I am excited about brewing it.

Cheers

Wait until the wort is at or below your desired fermentation temp before pitching.

Some big name breweries actually bring the temp down *below* the desired temp, pitch, allow the fermentation to bring the temp up to the desired temp, then maintain there. They claim it gives a better, cleaner flavor. Just throwing that out there as an option.

Back