Shipping dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamminjoenapo

Reaction score
I usually use liquid yeast on all my batches, but Midwest has been sending me both liquid and dry the past 5 kits I've ordered. The only thing that concerns me with using these is that they were shipped in the kit box and not iced down like the liquid yeast. How well do the dry yeasts hold up to hot weather? Keep in mind it was 100+ down here for almost every time I ordered these kits. If I get real concerned I can just make a starter, but I am planning on using the dry stuff for some experimental half batches so the less work the better.

I usually use liquid yeast on all my batches, but Midwest has been sending me both liquid and dry the past 5 kits I've ordered. The only thing that concerns me with using these is that they were shipped in the kit box and not iced down like the liquid yeast. How well do the dry yeasts hold up to hot weather? Keep in mind it was 100+ down here for almost every time I ordered these kits. If I get real concerned I can just make a starter, but I am planning on using the dry stuff for some experimental half batches so the less work the better.

They tend to be fine at shipping temperatures. I store mine in the fridge normally, but shipping them and even keeping them long term at room temperature doesn't seem to affect them.

They tend to be fine at shipping temperatures. I store mine in the fridge normally, but shipping them and even keeping them long term at room temperature doesn't seem to affect them.

That's about what I was thinking. They have been in the fridge since I got them so they should be fine. If not oh well. I'll use the one I have 3 of just in case.

Back