Reusing Yeast Blends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breadylove

Reaction score
Will you get a large change of character in your beer if you use yeast blends over and over? I'm using the White Labs Cream Ale blend. I'm on my 4th beer with it. It's supposed to be an ale and a lager yeast. Over time do you think one can dominate?
Curious if anyone has experience with this?

I don't quite understand the point of an ale/lager blend vs clean-fermenting ale yeast, but I would think after washing a few times your ratios will be very different.

I.e. If it started as a 50/50 blend, you might now have an 80/20 and it would be hard to tell.

All I can tell you is that I don't wash wild blends for this reason, but that's a bit of another monster.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's more likely that over generations the blend will not really be a blend anymore. I don't have any data to back up my hypothesis, but I believe that the ale yeast in the blend will quickly dominate the lager yeast in the blend and use it for food.

I'm guessing it might depend on the fermentation temps of each batch? Colder would give you more lager yeast? And warmer fermentation more ale yeast?

I'm pretty new to brewing but that makes some sense. I guess I'll have to continue experimenting. Right now I have two strong dark ales fermenting so if it's more ale-like I'll be in better shape anyway.

Back