Reusing Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choch

Reaction score
i was wondering that if i brew alcohol and i want to reuse the yeast from that brew, is it killed off by the alcohol or can i just put some in a separate container in the fridge for reuse?

I've done a couple batches where I rack from the primary of batch #1 the same morning I brew batch #2. I just take the yeast and trub from #1 and dump it into #2. Works like a charm. My Gypsy Tears brewed Saturday took off like crazy on Sunday and is now spewing lots of blowoff through a 1/2" blowoff tube. Lots of yeast is a good thing, but forget about cell count calculations and stepped up pitching rates - too much trouble for me.

I have done the same as heckler73 when brewing same recipes back to back. It greatly increases the activity and helps to increase the clarity of the beer (IMO). I have even harvested and saved for a later day in the fridge (stored in a sanitized water tight plastic container).

The blowoff tube is a must if you practice like this. Within 12 hours you could have a clogged up airlock inside the stopper. I usually have a spare airlock ready to swap out and only have to monitor the fermenting bucket for about half a day (from 12-18 hours of brewing).

Back