Question about Wyeast smack packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takuie

Reaction score
When using the smack packs, are you supposed to allow the small plastic bag (that is inside the pack) into your wort or keep that from falling in?

Keep it out if you can. If you let one slip in to the fermenter the world will keep spinning, the sun will come up tomorrow and the yeast will turn the wort into beer.

The inside of smack pack is surely sanitary. Did you sanitize the outside of package and whatever you used to open with?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Cool thanks all. That's kinda what I thought.

Yes, I sanitized pack, cutting utensil, and my hands before opening it.

I use a pair of kitchen scissors that come apart for cutting open the Wyeast packs. The scissors get washed/sanitized and it's pretty easy to cut the pack open, take the scissors apart, and use the two halves to lift out the plastic bag. It's a bummer to pour slowly out the Wyeast packs and end up with leftover yeast that should have went in the starter. Shaking well and using the scissors helps prevent that.

Don't mean to thread jack, but I was making a starter last night with Wyeast and did not break the nutrients pack inside. I pitched it with my wort (2 cups of water and .5 cup of DME). Does not breaking the nutrients affect my starter?

Don't mean to thread jack, but I was making a starter last night with Wyeast and did not break the nutrients pack inside. I pitched it with my wort (2 cups of water and .5 cup of DME). Does not breaking the nutrients affect my starter?

Somewhat. But not anything to be worried about. WL-vials doesnt come with yeast nutrient. The nutrient is mostly there because it's a "direct pitch" pack. WL's are also "direct pitch", just without the nutes.

Back