Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pumpkin Ale yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
BudzAndSudz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I do like the thought of the "toasty flavors" that the yorkshire claims to create. Yumm! The attenuation is advertised as considerably lower than my the WLP013 that I usually use, but perhaps if I double pitch a vial of the Yorkshire and a vial of the WLP085 blend I'll get the attenuation and flocculation I desire with a very pleasing flavor profile.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #12
imisri
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

would doing a starter be a good idea for WLP011? I've never made starters since I heard that liquid yeast packs don't usually need them but I've been getting conflicting information lately.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #13
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sshamash View Post
Hi all,
I'm making a malty pumpkin ale next week and wanted to know your opinions on what yeast to use. I've had good experiences with wyeast 1056 American ale but I'm worried that that one might be a bit too dry for the style I'm going for. I also want most of the malt flavor to come directly from the specialty grains I'm using. Any suggestions???
Keep in mind that less flocculant strains will leave behind more malt character. 1056 flocculates medium to low so you might have a winner. Plus it has a pretty low ester profile when controlled which would really allow your malt and spices to shine.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by imisri View Post
would doing a starter be a good idea for WLP011? I've never made starters since I heard that liquid yeast packs don't usually need them but I've been getting conflicting information lately.
Complicated question. You should be shooting for 6 million cells/ml of wort, assuming your OG is below 1.060. If it's above that, you should double it. Also depends on fermentation temps, pitch temps, beer style etc.

Quick Reply