My kitchen smells funny!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treybrew

Reaction score
my beer is in the fermenting bucket with the air lock it started bubbling just a few days ago and has been every since. I started the process a week ago from tommorow. This is my first brew and it smells like very green beer or almost rotten. Is this normal or am just being too paranoid?

Well its very off putting when people walk into the kitchen and ask,"wtf is that smell!" So i tell them," oh its just the beer were making" and every person has came back with the same answer,"............your going to drink that?" Lol

The coolest room in my house is the downstairs bathroom. You don't have to apologize but people must think i'm not healthy.

Oh and yeah, it's not like that for all brews but some stink like sin. There's a wheat strain that I used last year that refused to be ignored!

Just be careful if you put it in a spot with very little air circulation... The CO2 will build up! I have 15 gallons fermenting in a chest freezer - when you open it up it will about knock you out from the concentrated CO2!!!

The air coming from the airlock is starting to actually smell like decent beer and not rotten! Hooray!

HA I've gotten reactions like that too, fermentation is a pretty nasty (albeit wonderful) activity. Just wait til they taste the beer, they'll change their tune.

Back