Mold in the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopforce

Reaction score
Last night I racked my pumpkin beer from the primary to secondary. On the inside of the lid there appeared to some mold. See attached pics

I'm wondering what may have caused the mold. This is my first time using pumpkin so I am not if it is related I used the canned Libby's

Also is my beer ruined?

The pics.

image-4268471352.jpg

image-2190242780.jpg

If that truly is mold I'd say your lid wasn't sanitized properly from the start. Do you know what temp you fermented around? I'm guessing your pumpkin went in during the boil so it should have been sanitized. As for your beer being ruined just taste it and make the call! :)

You can not get mold unless there is some organic matter present. Mold lives in humid areas where they can feed off organic matter. My guess is that you should use some extra time sanitizing your stuff next time.

Hard to tell from the pic, but that doesn't really look like mold... You sure it isn't just gunk from the krausen? Pumpkins are pretty messy beers.

I've never had mold in my beer but I have had mold problems in my house… the pattern on the lid reminds me of that mold very much.

Did you ever open the fermenter to steal a sample or sneak a peak? How was your temperature control, did you leave it at room temp for an extended amount of time and any kind of air get in?

Looks normal to me, just ferment splatter. If you had that much mold/infection, I imagine you would be able to smell and taste it pretty easy.

Thanks for the help. I bottled it last night and it didnt taste or smell like mold so I guess I'm good to go! Must of been so ferment splatter

Either way.

I had a batch with mold covering the surface of the beer. Racked from under, and BAM. Awesome beer.

do you want mold in there? No, but if it happens, learn from it.......but for R2D2's sake DON'T DUMP THE BEER.

Back