Low OG and finishing fg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustinj

Reaction score
Ok. Brewed a saison a two weeks ago saturday. It's been bubbling nicely. Smells good. Looks good. My projected Pre boil gravity should have been 1060. It was 1040. I mashed with WAY to much water and didn't sparge much. I could have gone for a longer boil but I added my hops at 60 minutes and wasn't sure what that would do to the flavor. I took a reading and it's down to 1010. Supposed to finish at 1008. It will damn near be water when it finishes up. I'm thinking of racking to a secondary and maybe kegging when it hits 1008. Any probs with that?

The only problem is if it's not done, even though you are kegging it and any additional fermentation will halt with the cold, the beer could be overly sweet to the finish. 1.008 is fine, my Saison typically finishes around 1.006 and it's delicious!

Dustinj said:
Ok. Brewed a saison a two weeks ago saturday. It's been bubbling nicely. Smells good. Looks good. My projected Pre boil gravity should have been 1060. It was 1040. I mashed with WAY to much water and didn't sparge much. I could have gone for a longer boil but I added my hops at 60 minutes and wasn't sure what that would do to the flavor. I took a reading and it's down to 1010. Supposed to finish at 1008. It will damn near be water when it finishes up. I'm thinking of racking to a secondary and maybe kegging when it hits 1008. Any probs with that?

I'd much rather drink a Saison with a body too light than a flavor too sweet. Besides, most of the body comes from dextrins and protiens that aren't going anywhere. Final gravity isn't a measure of body, hough it is loosley correlated with it.

So, leave it until in finishes in the primary? Rack to secondary to get it off the yeast cake, or cold crash it at 1.008 and keg it. I'm a noob by the way. This is my first AG batch.

Yes. Let it finish. I'd wait one week after it finishes the attenuative phase before kegging to allow some conditioning. As long as you used healthy yeast, there's no need to rack into a secondary fermenter. In a Saison, you're not looking for brilliant clarity, and you're not leaving the beer on yeast long enough to worry about autolysis. Secondary fermenters take time and risk oxidation and contamination; therefore, in my opinion, they should be avoided except when there's some good reason to use one. (Good reasons: lagering and long conditioning; removing beer from old yeast to avoid autolysis; improving clarity in a beer that really needs it, like a competition beer or a beer made with unfloculant yeast. By the way, I also believe that clarity was an accident of making beer that tasted good, not a separate goal of the brewer, until Budweiser introduced filtration. If we all hate Budweiser, why do we emulate its appearance?)

Back