Limited space in fermentation chamber. Can I take a carboy out after fermentation had

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinkindinkins

Reaction score
Pretty sure I already know the answer to this question but can I take a carboy out of my fermentation freezer after fermenting is complete? My freezer is kept at around 65 (depending on what's being chomped on), my house has variable temps. I have a 7cu freezer and only room for 2 carboys. Will this produce off flavors?

Thanks

Yeah so I would only do this after the primary fermentation is complete, after 2 weeks or so. But you don't think placing the beer in a different temp will produce off flavors?

Yeah so I would only do this after the primary fermentation is complete, after 2 weeks or so. But you don't think placing the beer in a different temp will produce off flavors?
Once primary fermentation is over and the associated time of internal heat generation has passed, most people purposefully allow the temperatures to raise back up to around 70 to allow the yeast to clean up after themselves. I don't think you'll have any problems at all, and in fact, the beer will likely benefit from the temperature rise. That is my understanding at least.

When the fast part of the ferment is over, your flavor is already set and letting the beer warm up won't hurt a thing and may even help the beer. You can pull the beer out of the fermenting chamber after about 4 days, leaving room to start another beer. With room for 2 fermenters and careful time management, that means you can brew a batch every 2 days until you run out of fermenters.:ban:

Awesome that is what I like to hear. That was my limited factor, other than funds naturally. My house doesn't necessarily stay consistently at 70 though. I turn off the ac when I go to work. But it won't fluctuate too terribly much. Now I can make room for a milk stout. Thanks for the help!

Back